Saturday, May 2, 2020

National Theatre's Frankenstein

Again, thanks to a friend's Facebook post, I came to know about a theatre play version of my fave story Frankenstein. I've always been a fan of the novel and even love the gargoyle-based film I, Frankenstein. It is one of the first classic novels I read alongside Mark Twain and Charles Dickens' works and I remember being overly pensive afterwards, feeling profound pity for a creature that never asked to be born into this world and yet abandoned and maltreated by humans. Or maybe I found myself relating to Frankenstein's Monster, me being hated and maltreated for being different. Tonight I can very well relate to the lines delivered by the Monster.


Dialogue between Viktor and the Monster.
Viktor: I am your master, you should show respect.
Monster: Master has duties. You left me to die. I am not a slave, I am free!

The dialogue above is reminiscent of Confucian values and the prescribed relationship between father and son wherein the first cares for the latter and the latter obeys and respects the first, in order to establish a harmonious relationship. However, the Monster was abandoned at the time when he was revived as an experiment of Viktor. Viktor toyed with the idea of playing God, and never mind his brilliant mind as he is sadly lacking in emotional intelligence. I know someone very well who acts like God and treats others including his own wife and children as slaves. And of course, I can very well relate to the Monster who justifies his anger because his creator is a useless egocentric person with no care for others. 

Other memorable lines in the play:

Monster talking to Elizabeth: I did not ask to be born, but once born, I will fight to live. All life is precious, even mine.

Monster to Viktor: What is the matter? Are you cold? Do you feel forsaken? (...) You wanted power. Look at you. Immortality, look at you.

Monster: I am different. I know I am different. I have tried to be the same, but I am different. Why can I not be who I am?

*************************************
I watched the one wherein Benedict Cumberbatch of Dr. Strange fame played the role of the Monster. At the start of the play, we see him writhing and rolling helplessly on the ground after being given life. I was like, wow, he's super awesome to be able to move like that. I can pretty much imagine how difficult it must have been to move like an oversized baby learning how to walk. Such an impressive actor. I also love how there are funny moments and witty retorts all throughout which certainly gave lighthearted moments to this otherwise dark and depressing story. As always, I sympathize with the Monster rather than the proud Viktor. Never liked people who are too full of themselves when they cannot even function normally without others. But oh well, defense mechanism of weak people. As always, I believe that the truly strong are those who are kind (but not pushover/ doormat kind), just, compassionate, and courageous.

Special thanks to National Theatre for making this gem available online. 

No comments:

Post a Comment