Friday, September 11, 2020

Wild Child (2008)

After watching some serious stuff non-stop, my brain is screaming for some time out and what fun way to relax than to watch a sill movie. At first I wanted to watch some good old 50s film but unfortunately am not able to successfully find a full version on YT. It recommended Wild Child instead and I took the bait. The film's got no subtitles so it's a struggle to understand what they're saying. I'm not so accustomed to British English after all, even after all the Harry Potter stuff.

Emma Roberts stars in this film about Poppy who ruins her dad's girlfriend's stuff by inviting her friends to take whatever they can of the woman's things when they got delivered to their big house. She is sent to Abbey Mount school where her misbehavior and rudeness annoy her roommates. (In hindsight, I've never met a decent American in my life and especially young American  women--- they're bitches who think like they are above everyone else. Poppy is pretty much like this.) When Katie, one of the roommates, learn of her mother's passing years ago in a car crash, she sympathizes with Poppy and eventually the other roommates become accepting of her. The girls decide to help her get expelled so she can go back to her life in the US.

Poppy: You think I'm an asshole.

Katie: No. But you behave like an asshole. There's a difference.

Now Abbey Mount has to have a dashing boy in the person of Freddie, son of the headmistress, whom the girls in the school crush on but who is not allowed to "fraternize" with girls. And there should be a rival in the person of Harriet who obsesses over Freddie but the latter does not return the affection as he does to Poppy especially during a party and when the two go out on a date after that. At first, Poppy plans to use Freddie as her ticket to freedom but has come to really like him eventually. When Poppy's roommates get hold of an email saying the people at school are losers, she is isolated once again. Freddie also receives a copy of an email revealing that he is just part of a plan. While emoing alone and toying with her lighter, Poppy accidentally sets fire to the curtain but puts it out before she runs away. Later on, she sees from her window that the place catches fire and alerts everyone to get out of the building. One of her roommates Jennifer is not present on roll call and Poppy rushes to the refrigeration room as she has seen the girl sneak in there one night to eat ice cream. She helps save her friend and later confesses to the crime although she insists that it is an accident.

The roommates discover that the one who sent the email is none other than Harriet and during Poppy's hearing, Harriet accuses her of the crime by providing details nobody actually knows about which implicates her instead. Harriet is found guilty and is expelled from school. In the end, Poppy and her Abbey Mount friends, plus Freddie, are seen relaxing in her house's pool in California.

So may one key takeaway from this movie is to learn how to be fashionable and trendy because manners and simply being a good person is not enough to win people's hearts. Maybe I am just being old-fashioned that way, preferring to build my inner strength mostly skills, instead of spending time to appear cool and beautiful outside. I mean, I know I am already pretty just the way I am and many people say the same. It's just that people also lament about how I don't dress up often and that maybe I should learn how to put on makeup regularly. Maybe then maybe real men will enter my life. haha (Except that after that brief encounter with Q I think I will just die an old maid, seeing this world has a serious shortage of good men. I'd rather keep my peace.)

No comments:

Post a Comment