Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Some Basic Buddhist Doctrines

Last Holy Week while cleaning our room, I chanced upon my old college readings in Philo 10 (Approaches to Philosophy). I didn't get to read everything at that time because I was still a freshman when I took it and reading the materials caused severe headache and I couldn't comprehend what I was reading anyway. And also because at that time I was still to engrossed with animé to get serious with my college education.

Since I feel the need to review Buddhist materials mainly because most of what I am watching (i.e. My Date with a Vampire) contain Buddhist principles, and in relation to my personal life, I have to relearn the art of meditating and detachment. Moreover, I need inspiration to make it easier for me to accept the harsh realities of life.

The heart of Buddhism lies in the four noble truths:

1. Existence is unhappiness.
- Life is subject to the inevitable evils of illness, old age, and death, as well as the sadness caused when loved ones are stricken by these ills.

2. Unhappiness is caused by desires.
- Asking the universe more than what it is ready to give causes us sorrow when our demands are not met.

3. Desires can be destroyed.
- The knowledge of this helps us control our desires.

4. Desires can be destroyed by the eightfold path:
   a. right understanding
   b. right purpose (aspiration)
   c. right speech
   d. right conduct
   e. right vocation
   f. right effort
   g. right alertness
   h. right concentration
- When all stages are achieved, one is said to enter Nirvana, a state marked by a sense of liberation, inward peace and strength, insight into truth, the joy of complete oneness with reality, and love toward all creatures.

Buddhism focuses more on the cessation of misery rather than on metaphysics since the latter does not help in attaining wisdom (or Nirvana). Buddhism focuses more on the spiritual edification, the discipline of the mind.

What I appreciate most from Buddhism is the view that no doctrine is the final truth. Any theory may be countered by another and so instead of harmonious peace, there are unresolved hostilities. This deviates from humble soul-searching and understanding. Compromise, understanding, respect, and tolerance are necessary in order to build a community.

Other teachings of Buddhism:
1. Hatred can only be appeased by non-hatred.
2. Everything is in a flux, nothing is permanent, and one must accept the changes to be able to adjust to reality.
3. Compassion comes from seeing others in the same tragic situation, which makes one realize that life is impartial and favors no one.
4. Love is defined not as a dependent attachment but as an unlimited self-giving compassion flowing freely to all living creatures.
"-an all-embracing love
for all the universe
in all its heights and depths
and breadth, unstinted love,
unmarred by hate within,
not rousing enmity."

5. Nirvana can be attained without external help. It can be attained by one's own discipline and mindfulness.

No comments:

Post a Comment