Saturday, October 26, 2013

Dead Poets Society (1989)

Just finished watching Dead Poets Society, a 1989 movie drama about an English teacher named John Keating (played by no other than Robin Williams) who was out to inspire his students by way of poetry--- romantic poetry to be precise. The only problem is that the school values tradition and Keating's unorthodoxy posed a problem when students caused trouble. One somehow got his article published in the school newspaper, the gist of which is that the school should accept girls alongside boys. But things got serious when a student committed suicide because his father decided to transfer him to a military school instead after seeing him in a play. Keating was made a scapegoat so the students will be able to continue on with their lives and save themselves from expulsion.

When I first heard the title of this movie, I thought it was another one of those stupid horror movies or psychological thrillers. It's a good thing I discovered Robin Williams played the major role and so I was assured that it's no horror flick. Dead Poets Society is actually the name of the club formed by Keating's students. The members meet in a cave at night to discuss poetry and most times goof around.

As a former teacher (and still aspiring to be a teacher again), I can very well relate to John Keating. We're both romanticists and care little for pragmatism (though a professor of mine once described me as pragmatic... Well yes, I can be that, too, but I still am more of a romanticist). Romanticism, after all, is all about passion, the search for truth and beauty, the search for individual freedom, characterized by non-conformity. I find it a delight to hear quotes from the likes of Shakespeare, Lord Byron, Robert Frost, and Henry David Thoreau.

I remember that one semester when I taught Spanish in a university. Since it was my first time to teach at the collegiate level, I was more than eager to share what I know to my students, to take it as an opportunity to inspire those who are younger than me. I was 22 then and many of my students didn't respect me at first. But whenever I speak Spanish in front of them, whenever I tell them a little about archaeology, whenever I excitedly tell them about the latest book I've enjoyed, I could see jaws drop and eyes sparkle. I must seemed like a cool nerd to them. Maybe it's just my illusion but things became easier when they got to know more about me, like how I could be strict but compassionate, just but merciful. Most of my students were graduating at that time. I was touched when some told me how they appreciated having me as their teacher, how they learned a lot not just Spanish but about life in general. As my first students, they have a special place in my heart. They taught me about perseverance, determination, and humility (and occasional jokes, and that it's okay to be me... childlike and with my own set of quirky idiosyncrasies.)

When I heard news of how students are made to pay exorbitant fees and how some of these fees are not even explained to them, I encouraged them to challenge this. Education is getting more and more commercialized and especially in a private school, many students pay for things they do not really need. The last straw was discovering that fellow teachers extort money from students in exchange for passing grades. I was shocked beyond words and then I decided that that's it, I'm having none of this. That school was not where I belong. At that time, I didn't think that challenging the system would bear good fruits since all teachers I knew were identified by my students as unscrupulous. I never felt so alone.

So I exited, but without the touchingly beautiful ending in Dead Poets Society, where Keating's students stood on their desk one by one as an act of defiance to the headmaster and as a final respect for the man who led them to believe in freedom and truth and beauty. I exited in silence, submitting my letter of resignation on the last day I inputted my students' grades. I never told my students I would be gone the following semester.



Right above is the proud look on Keating's face after seeing that finally his students knew how to stand up for what they believe in.

I'm so inspired to be a teacher again...

No comments:

Post a Comment