Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Mt. Pulag 0221232014

Last year, some of my friends and I planned to hike up some mountains starting with those tagged as level 2, then Pico de Loro, then Mt. Pulag. Since we couldn't agree on the dates, the plans were never realized.

So in January this year, when I got an invite from someone I recently met at an org activity (note: I'm not an official member there, just happened to be a day volunteer), I just couldn't say no and pass again the chance to climb Mt. Pulag, said to be the highest peak in Luzon. Said mountain also became quite talked about because of the cold weather the Philippines is experiencing at the onset of the year until the present. Climbers before us talked of how ice formed outside the tents due to the very cold weather and so we were advised to bring extra clothes to keep us warm [and alive].

As the day of departure was approaching, I was already asking myself what on earth did I drag myself into. I wasn't at all prepared and at that time, my body was still recovering from consecutive trips. Laziness was upon me and even brisk walking seemed like a difficult chore. I was thinking of backing out because the weather didn't warm up a bit and I was afraid of the cold. But a voice inside my head was telling me not to run away, to face my fears like a true warrior. Besides, she [the voice within] warned, "you'd be banned from climbing groups this early if you back out at the last minute!!!" Also, I just brought a new camera which is cold-proof and perfect for adventures so this could be the perfect time to test it. And while in a dilemma, stories of how Mt. Pulag earned its nickname as "playground of the gods" sparked my curiosity. I just had to see for myself this fantastic sunrise and sea of clouds Pulag climbers have been talking about.

So I told myself, "okay, let's do this." Never mind what happens. The usual fatalistic "bahala na" saved me from backing out. For consolation and assurance, I kept on repeating to myself that a lot of people had done it and survived Pulag through the Ambangeg trail, said to be the easiest trail. If others can, why can't I?

Turns out that the hike up to the campsite was okay. It got colder as we climbed up the mountain but the gentle slope was something I was very thankful for. It made the three-hour hike seem like a walk in the park. Perfect for someone who's used to walking long distances like me. Along the way though my friend and I were assuring ourselves that we could do it, that "fear cuts deeper than sword", to quote our favorite Game of Thrones character Arya Stark. Also, we adopted House Martell's motto "Unbowed, unbent, unbroken", though we were still extra cautious.

That night we spent at the campsite, everything changed. The weather became colder with each passing hour. I decided to hit the hay and call it a day (they rhyme!) no later than 6PM hoping to sleep through the cold. But boy was I wrong! I couldn't get myself to sleep! So by around 11PM, I lay there inside my sleeping bag, with five layers of clothes, shivering from the freezing cold. All the while, I closed my eyes, wishing so bad for sleep to come. When I realized how futile it was to try to sleep, I just waited for the early morning call for the group to hike all the way up Peak 3.

Fate must be playing a joke on me because the foggy early morning at 3AM made the hike a bit difficult. My flashlight died on me, probably because of the extreme cold. So I relied on my friend's flashlight as we hike. The activity helped my body generate heat so I felt less cold. When we got to the top, it was another story. I would have wanted to shout "the cold never bothered me anyway!!!" (from the Disney animated film Frozen) but it did.

We waited for some time at the peak, seeing nothing around but fog. Fog, fog, fog everywhere!!! Where's the promise of sea of clouds and the magnificent sunrise??? Later on, realizing that it's way past sunrise, we trekked down with a heavy heart. Inside myself, I resolved to keep on climbing Mt. Pulag until I finally see its treasures.

And it's only then that I understood the words of our guides, that the weather in Pulag is very fickle and hard to predict. Sigh! At least, I got to survive my first Pulag climb.







Our group's itinerary:
DAY 00 (Feb. 21, 2014)
06:30pm Assembly [VICTORY LINER CUBAO]
07:45pm ETD to Baguio

DAY 01 (Feb. 22, 2014)
02:00am ETA at Baguio
03:00am ETD Baguio to DENR
06:00am ETA at DENR, Registration and orientationof Participants
08:00am ETD to Ranger Station
10:30am ETA at Ranger Station, arrange guides and porters [option for early lunch]
11:00am Start Trek
02:30pm ETA at Camp 2, set camp, rest [option for late lunch]
05:30pm Early Dinner
08:00PM Lights out

DAY 02 (Feb. 23, 2014)
03:00am Wakeup call
04:00am Start trek to summit
05:30am ETA at summit, sunrise viewing, picture taking
07:00am Trek back to campsite
08:15am ETA at campsite, breakfast, break camp
09:00am Trek back to Ranger Station
11:30am Arrival at Ranger Station, Wash up, Lunch
01:00pm ETD Ranger station to DENR
02:30pm ETA at DENR, logout, get certificates
03:00pm ETD to Baguio
05:00pm ETA at Baguio, Dinner
10:10pm ETD to Manila

4 comments:

  1. I think "Fear cuts deeper than swords. Quick as a snake. Calm as still water. Fierce as a wolverine. Fear cuts deeper than swords" literally saved me. Thank you, Arya! ♥ Hahaha.

    Definitely will go back for the clouds and sunrise! Lezdo it again, Melo! Haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's!
      This reminds me... I have yet to watch Season 3 :(

      Delete
    2. Haha. Promise next time, hindi na kita sisiksikin sa tent. :))

      Aww. Ang busy mo kasi. Hihi. April pa naman season 4. :3

      Delete
    3. keri lang naman siksikin mo ako sa tent, for more warmth hehehe.
      mas gusto ko kasi yung sa book e. disappointed ako sa season 2 kasi di na faithful sa libro jujuju. But will still watch season 3, hopefully next week marathon na.

      Delete