Sunday, September 14, 2014

Busy September

Every year, whenever August is about to end, I would always condition myself for the following month. September has always been a busy month for me. It's also my favorite month of the year, not because it is the beginning of the BER months (and I would always create my wishlist this early only to modify it in the succeeding months), but mainly because of the Mid-Autumn Festival. This special day actually falls on the 15th of the eighth month of the lunar calendar and the equivalent date in the solar calendar is almost always within the month of September.

Because of the festival, two weekends would be reserved for family and friends. I love the dice games that accompany this special day. These dice games are played after a meal at some Chinese restaurant. I also look forward to raffle games where prizes may include flaky hopia (the ones I love most) and cash prizes. Add to that the fact that during the whole 19 years of my schooling I have been a consistent honor student so I would get additional cash prize, (which I would later partially surrender to my parents. Boo!) which they call as scholarship award. Of course it's not enough to cover even a semester's tuition fees but at least I got motivated to do well in school because I was always after the money to buy books.

This year is different. September 13 just had so many events that I wanted to attend. (Enough reason for me to write a separate entry on what I did yesterday.) I was invited to two gatherings cum dice games but since it's an annual event anyway, I chose to decline so I could attend the Wikimedia-sponsored Santa Ana walk where I got to meet really interesting people with LOTS of stories to tell. I had to leave early though to rush to Makati for Chino Gutierrez's concert where I think I was the only female adult in casual clothes because I didn't bother to bring a dress with me as my bag was already full of stuffs required for the whole day walking activity and also of freebies we got from SMART Communications.

I got home really late last night and commuting was such a pain because it rained. Somewhere in the Philippines, typhoon Luis must have landed. However I couldn't help but smile at the thought that at least I finally had the courage to talk to a former prof in UP and to my erstwhile classmate who do not even knew of my existence until last night. That said, I don't expect him to remember me if ever we get to meet again should he have a concert here in the future. My only wish is that he keeps on getting better and better at violin because he now serves as an inspiration to me especially now that I'm learning how to play the instrument he mastered at a young age.

So now I think I'll stay at home the whole day and try to at least get substantial work done for my paper presentation next week. I'll just have to build on and update one archaeology-related paper I submitted as class requirement two years ago and I'm good to go.

Busy September indeed. Sometimes I just want to sleep through it all and have someone wake me up when September ends. #Greenday

No comments:

Post a Comment