Saturday, September 10, 2011

Crazily Sleepless Week


These past few days have been quite stressful with many events coming into being almost at the same time. For one, I was a volunteer at the 4th .MOV Fest and I signed up for duty for four days. Then, there’s UP-ASP Fieldschool 2011 Exhibit where I have to make a diorama with a classmate, aside from helping my other classmates set up the exhibit. There’s also the Binalot Talk on September 7 where I will have to present my analysis of the glass shard artifacts recovered during our fieldschool. I dreaded September because of these, most especially the Binalot Talk, since I am not inclined to speaking in front of the public.

But anyway, a girl’s got to do what a girl’s gotta do. I was still lucky to have found the time to attend the launching of the book “Under the Storm” which was part of the 4th .MOV Fest. It was held in Ayala Museum. It was nice to be back there and to be having a taste of what it’s like to be part of a team that organized the event. Quite stressful, yes, but it was fun talking to celebrities. Where else can I get the chance to talk to Mercedec Cabral, Glaiza de Castro, Becky Mon, Rox puno, etc? Despite the fact that I arrived home super late (which made my parents a bit mad at me), I was still happy for having such an experience. It was part of my “throwing myself to the wind” plan this year. (Though I regret not being able to join the other events because I had other events to attend to. Hopefully next year I'll be able to really be a full-time volunteer.)

September 3 and 4 found me making the diorama together with a classmate, trying to beat the deadline which was Sept. 5 (Monday). Working nonstop and with just 4 hours of sleep and having nothing but Cheez It chips, instant noodles, cookies, and Milo chocolate drink almost drove me to the point of insanity. I thoroughly missed having real food--- at that time, my mind was filled of images of beef kaldereta on top of steamy rice, chicken tinola, mapo tofu, fish fillet... Still, we were able to finish the bahay na bato diorama. What is surprising is that both my co-worker and I didn't enter into serious arguments. On the contrary, we took everything in stride, treating it as a bonding moment, talking about crushes, dreams, aspirations, worldviews, music, even joking and laughing out loud. It was a great bonding experience.

Because of lots of preoccupations, I got home at around 1am for days, much to the ire of my parents who thought I had been off to some bar or something. Sorry to say this, but bars and discotheques and the like are not my cup of tea. Besides I'm too busy with my academic load to even think of dallying.



When the exhibit was nicely put up, I still was not entitled to get my at least 10 hours of cutie sleep. No, I had to prepare for my Binalot Talk, race against time to go to Quiapo to check out the Bote't Dyaryo Museum at Escolta (which turned out to be in vain super thanks to the heavy traffic flow which hindered me from getting to Escolta early). I was so sure I would explode anytime soon but fortunately, I didn't have the energy nor the time to self-explode.

So when the Binalot was over, I was able to heave a BIG SIGH OF RELIEF. Oh Sleep, my muse, my sweet beloved, I am back into your arms!

No comments:

Post a Comment