Friday, March 23, 2012

In Preparation for Graduation

March is about to end and here I am racing against time to finish one final paper which I should have submitted a year ago. I initially planned to drop the idea of submitting this paper since it is just for a filler course which will not be credited anyway. Besides, I already have completed all the required courses for me to graduate this summer. On second thought, being a pursuer of honor and excellence, I took this up as a challenge. I thought to myself, not only will the research yield more knowledge, the process of writing the paper itself shall serve as an exercise again. Besides, I have already presented my data to members of our small community last month and I only lack this paper to complete the requirements for the course.

Moreover, very few archaeologists tackle public archaeology since it is definitely NOT one of the macho aspects of the discipline. Since my first year as an archaeology student, I have been interested in the relationship between archaeologists and the pubic, having seen that most scholars lock themselves up in ivory towers and very seldom publish their research for the lay person. I think this view of mine stems from my criticism of scientists in general for their works which are unintelligible to the common man. And that's why for the third time, I am doing a paper on public archaeology. (The first is a paper on fringe archaeology when I was a freshman. The second was a report on the practice of public archaeology in our field school. This time, my paper is on the representation of the archaeologist in media which are gaining an increased following in the world, and most especially here in my country.)

I know that many will criticize my paper for its "irrelevance" to archaeology. In fact, back during my undergraduate years, when I wrote a paper on hoaxes in archaeology, my professor noted "This is not an archaeological paper." Back then, I should have argued that it IS because somehow it is an issue that we archaeologists have to consider because it affects the discipline's integrity and over-all impressions of archaeologists by ordinary people. Still, I respect his processual views since analysis and scientific experiments are indispensable in our discipline.

These days, my thoughts are focused on many things. For instance, since summer is here, I am more than excited to venture out in the field, wield my trowel and scrape the earth again. I also miss recording what we have unearthed. I miss drawing and describing features. I miss accessioning artifacts. I miss the fresh air in the countryside, as well as the very simple life there. I miss sleeping in a tent. And of course, I miss the simple food in the barrio--- veggies and fish in particular. So yesterday I bought my own sleeping bag. Today I made a checklist of what to bring for this season's excavation. Trowels, measuring tapes, line level, plumb bob, nylon rope, paint brushes, root-cutter, notebooks, etc. Aside from toiletries, I need to buy a 40L backpack and a camping tent.

And since for two years I have missed out a lot on reading fiction, anime, manga, and games, lately I have begun to go back to my normal self despite the many tasks that I still need to attend to. For instance, this semester I read Kolian Huaying (Flower Shadows behind Curtains), the sequel to Chinpingmei (Plum in the Golden Vase). I also read Jinghuayuan (Flowers in the Mirror). From the titles, any one with an interest in Buddhism is sure to find that these two tackle Buddhist principles. In fact, the common theme in these two is the concept of karma and reincarnation, as well as the renunciation of earthly desires for the attainment of enlightenment, though the latter has touches of Popular Taoist magic in it.

The past few days saw me reading One Piece manga, too. After my paper, I'm going back to reading Hitman Reborn  since it's been years since I last read that series. When in need of serious relaxation, I watch movies and contemplate on the message as well as marvel at the styles and techniques of the director in creating the movie.

Since last month, my students have expressed their excitement and eagerness to graduate. As their teacher, I am happy for them not only because we will be graduating this summer but also because I have seen how they struggle and how they bravely face the challenges before them. I still am awed at how they managed to pass my subject given that I do not give easy exams and quizzes. They really are an inspiration and I am proud to have them as my students. For that, they will certainly occupy a special place in my heart.

So anyway, all these thoughts on graduation are not really the central focus of my attention. Just like when I graduated from college two years ago, I was indifferent to it. It's just another time marker for me. But the hell, looking back at how I worked so hard and how much I learned not just within the four walls of the classroom, but also in my interaction with different kinds of people and different kinds of situations, I cannot help but ponder on the infinite potentials of the human will to create and to endure. As I reflect back on those times when I would complain of sleepless nights but still bring myself to finish the required tasks, I cannot help but heave a sigh and smile. Those were not just in pursuit of high grades nor recognition. Far be it from me to chase after fame and fortune. Those times are the best because they remind me of the things that I can do and the things that have left me a sense of achievement and fulfillment at the end of a difficult day. And with so much memories of my hard work and extreme perseverance, I build the foundation for the future me to be proud of.

No comments:

Post a Comment