Saturday, February 23, 2013

Life of Pi (2012)

Back in college, I often saw Yann Martel's book The Life of Pi in the library shelves but it took a long time before I finally borrowed the book, because I used to think that perhaps this is just like one of Paulo Coelho's shallow novels. I was wrong. The minute I opened the book, it was hard to put down. The language was simple, but the novel was thought-provoking. When I came to the part wherein Pi was struggling in the seas with only a Bengali tiger named Richard Parker for companion, I wondered, if this book gets to be translated to film, I would certainly love to watch it, only to see how the director will render Richard Parker.

And so Director Ang Lee is a heaven-sent genius who took on the project. The result is a stunning visual masterpiece best viewed on 3D. I initially wanted to catch it on 3D but due to my hectic schedule, weeks had passed and the film was no longer available in 3D. It was unfortunate that I got to watch only last February 2 with a very dear friend and it was just 2D. Nevertheless, I could imagine in my mind what it could have looked like in 3D. I almost cried watching the storm scene, one could really feel the rage of the seas. And Richard Parker!!! I only have praises for the CG-rendition of this "lovable" creature. The end of the movie is a tearjerker even without words. One can really feel the profound sadness that swept over Pi as he watches the tiger turn its back on him and walks into the woods.

Just last week, I had a dinner date at Bistro Marinero with a friend who works in Intramuros and we talked a little about The Life of Pi, with her promising to send me an e-book. And she did. And so, after I finish reading Fukuyama's book, I'll be back to reading Martel's. The Life of Pi is something that I would love to read over and over again. And I'm pretty sure that when I do so, flashes of film scenes would invade my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment