Monday, July 29, 2013

The Wolverine (2013)

Reviving my X-Men (or should I say Marvel) fandom after many years, I resolved to watch every movie about the X-Men. These days when I am strictly scrimping to save for future trips, a contest from my favorite newspaper, The Philippine Daily Inquirer, was my key to getting free tickets to The Wolverine at Robinsons Galleria last July 27. Two nights before the screening, I jumped for joy when I received an email saying I won three free tickets! Now who else to bring with me but my sisters with the hope that after watching this film, they will also become Marvel fans.

Japanese actress and model Rila Fukushima as the red-haired kickass female assassin

The film doesn't disappoint. In fact, with all the fighting scenes, one can never get bored. Oh yeah, there's always the pervading presence of Jean Grey haunting Logan almost everytime. It breaks the heart to see this tainted hero battle his guilt and conscience and it hurts just as much seeing him temporarily lose his mutant ability to heal and regenerate after an infection caused by Viper (that sexy vixen in green who reminds me a lot of Poison Ivy). 

Otakus will surely enjoy the film especially since most scenes were filmed in Japan. The simple yet elegant funeral for a wealthy and respected man attended by many people and disturbed by armed men with tattoos is very much like in animé. The contrast between modern and traditional Japan, from the character Yashida himself to his household to the background settings is wonderfully captured. Add to these the Japanese cast, in particular Rila Fukushima who played the red-haired assassin and Tao Okamoto who played Mariko Yashida, granddaughter of the dying Yashida patriarch. These two somehow eclipsed Hugh Jackman with their superb acting and fighting skills. And who doesn't love a kickass female in short skirt and with a sword in her hands? That simply is LOVE!

And how can I forget that unforgettable bullet train scene wherein Logan had to fight off one of the thugs out to kidnap Mariko? The suspense buildup was intense though one of course expects the Wolverine to win that part since it's way too early for him to die anyway.

Overall, I must say that this movie is a must-see. I'm looking forward to seeing more of Yukio. That girl rocks!

No comments:

Post a Comment