Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Kalibo-Boracay 0123272014

This is a lengthy post so places/ activities of interest are in red font for easy scanning for those who stumbled on this humble blog looking for things to do in Boracay or Kalibo.

Funny how fate can counter your plans with something wonderful. I never thought of going to Boracay because I thought of it as an overrated beach too much commercial activities that I wouldn't be able to find a peaceful place when in need of solitude. Last December though I won a two-night stay in Jony's Resort in Boracay and was congratulated much by my officemates. Being a budget traveler, I didn't know much about posh resorts and hotels since I only care about the cheapest lodgings in my target destinations. A quick research of Jony's Resort sold me to the idea of visiting Boracay. Shortly after, I was already asking my sisters when they would be comfortable to travel and by December 10, I had already booked our flights to Kalibo. Before 2013 ended I had already drafted our 3D4N itinerary and even arranged for our accommodation at Kalibo. Talk about getting excited.

Day 0
We left Manila late in the afternoon and arrived at Kalibo at around 7PM. My sisters spied a Chinese restaurant near the airport so we took out one seafood noodles (P180) and went straight to Center Parkway Pension House along Osmeña Avenue. Fan room for three costs just P750, though toilet is not private. It's a good thing we visited after the Ati-Atihan Festival and so there were not many tourists at that time.

Day 1
My sisters and I woke up before the breaking of dawn and went out of the hotel at 6AM. We spent a considerable amount of time in Pastrana Park after seeing the Aklan Freedom Shrine. While my sisters were busy taking pictures at Pastrana Park, I went inside Kalibo Cathedral just as mass was just about to start. Luckily mass was said in English although the sermon was a mix of English and Akalanon. After mass, we looked for a place to eat since Museo It Akean was not yet open at that time. My sisters had Special La Paz Batchoy while I had Chicken Arroz Caldo with egg.


Having filled our bellies, we looked around Museo It Akean. The first floor displays cultural items ranging from baskets to weapons to glass bottles and masks. At the time of visit, a temporary exhibition of embossed metal art known as Repujado by Liza Ann Acevedo-Ilagan was in place. (Repujar is a Spanish verb meaning to work on a metal using a hammer. In English, it means "to emboss" or "to work in relief".) The second floor was mostly of religious articles, with a special place for Cardinal Jaime Sin (1928-2005) since the cardinal was born in New Washington, Aklan, definitely one of the province's celebrities primarily for his role in the People Power Revolution which called for the descent of Marcos from power and again in the 2001 EDSA Revolution which put Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo in power after the eruption of the jueteng scandal concerning then President Joseph Estrada. Aklan costumes and furniture also figure on the second floor as well as well-crafted dolls in colorful costumes.


There's a lot to learn in the museum, but the text-heavy displays can eat up one's time. One can see how Aklan and Kalibo got its name and how the feast of Ati-Atihan came to be a significant feast in the province. Also something of interest is the 19 Martyrs of Aklan, which if I remember is never present in history textbooks when I was in elementary and in highschool. It was in Aklan where the first and only Katipunan chapter outside of Luzon was organized. The 19 martyrs' death by execution for attempted rebellion sparked more uprisings against the abusive Spanish authorities.

We headed to Bakhawan Eco-park and Research Centre, a man-made mangrove area, where we enjoyed the fresh air while walking on bamboo bridges. I had a hard time walking on the bridge because of my fear of heights but I was able to join my sisters at the end where we got a very nice view of the Sibuyan Sea.We also watched how the tamilok are harvested and got to taste these wood worms. The taste is clean except when you get to the wood inside the worm so the trick is to remove the dark parts.


We had lunch at RML Manokan Haus. The oysters were BIG and only for P60 per order. Aside from that, we had roasted chicken wings, and grilled squid. Then off to our hotel to pack our things for Boracay. We boarded an AC Ceres bus to Caticlan Port (fare is P107) and travel time was 2 hours. At the port, one has to pay for the terminal and environmental fees amounting to P200 per person in addition to the P25 ferry fare.


Room for three. 1 twin bed and 1 single bed. I took the single bed and my sisters shared the other one.
We arrived in Boracay at around 3PM and checked in at Jony's Resort. My sisters loved the room where we stayed so I'm already happy with that. (I'm really not into fancy resorts or hotels, you see.) We spent some time in the beach since it was already about to get dark. A tour staff offered sunset parawsailing just as the sky turned orange so we took it and spent some 30 minutes out in the sea on a paraw at sunset. By the time we got back to the beach, the sun was already scattering its last orange rays for the day. Definitely a beauty! So it was then that I understood why Boracay is so popular. It's got the finest white sand I've ever seen and it's got a beautiful sunset. And so I promised myself I will be back soon.


Lady in white looking far into the sea reminded me of Penelope, faithful wife of Odysseus in Homer's epic Odyssey
We had dinner at Smoke Restaurant in D Mall and then shopped for quite some time. My sisters took a long time so I explored the immediate area and also tried Aria's gelato. I had Calamansi flavor and Stracciatella, both wonderfully delicious. Then off to Budget Mart to buy groceries, mainly a gallon of water, cup noodles, bread, and cheese.

Day 2
We were supposed to get up at 6AM to catch the sunrise but failed because the time on my phone adjusted to the correct one automatically. (It previously was an hour and a third advanced.) We immediately went down for our ATV/ Buggy ride and Trick Art Museum visit in Dreamland.

We came back to the resort just in time for our island-hopping tour, for me the highlight of this whole trip. We snorkeled near an island (forgot the name but it sounds like Calicoan...) but I was disappointed because fish was rarely seen probably because of the cold weather. Then we proceeded to Crystal Cove where I greatly enjoyed my long solitary trek on the island. The turquoise waters crashing against the rocks as seen from above were a sight to behold, not to mention the refreshingly cool breeze, a certain break from Manila's polluted air. Then off to Crocodile Island where we had our buffet lunch. Then to another island where fish was seen relatively more than in the first island though in my experience, nothing can compare to what I've seen in Honda Bay tour which I did last year. (No pics though because I have yet to buy an underwater camera.) Too bad we weren't able to go to Puka Beach due to the rough waves. My sisters wouldn't want to go far from the hotel so I didn't bother to raise the topic and just made a mental note to go there when I go back to Boracay.


We went back to D Mall for dinner and our chosen restaurant was I Love BBQ Kitchen. Food was amazing and servings are big but service needs improvement.

Had my first ever Swedish full body massage in Boracay but it was not a wise thing to do because my body hurt like hell the following days although at that time I was so relaxed I fell asleep in the massage parlor.

Day 3
My sisters and I got up late so we left the resort late in the morning but we were able to get to Kalibo at 1PM. We checked in again at Center Parkway Pension House since it was already convenient, and left for New Washinton to visit the Sampaguita Gardens where we had our late lunch soon afterwards. Multicab fare from Kalibo town is P15 per person.

Because of Typhoon Yolanda, there was not much to see in Sampaguita Gardens. A percentage was damaged but renovations are taking place. Still, it's nice to walk around see curios everywhere. The collection of Precious Moments dolls should not be missed.


Since we still have much time left, we hired a tricycle to take us to two churches, one farther away from Sampaguita Gardens (Pink Sisters Convent) and one just in front of the town plaza in New Washington (Our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary Parish Church). What makes the Pink Sisters Convent Chapel special is that the large side windows are made of stained glass of the 12 disciples. Across New Washington Church is a plaza with a statue of Cardinal Sin.

We headed back to Kalibo via multicab and went to Gaisano Mall to buy pasalubong and to have dinner at Ted's. Happy to see a Booksale branch there where I saw a copy of Paul Auster's "Moon Palace", that compelling existential novel which inspired me to write about my field experience three years ago.

Lights out early because of our 5AM flight the next day.

Day 4
Got up at 3AM and did quick preparations. We were at the airport at 3:45AM, still sleepy. Headed straight to the office whereas my sisters headed for home.

-----------------------------
This took me two days to compose because I was having laptop problems mainly because Google Chrome kept on hanging and freezing. Problem solved when I uninstalled and reinstalled it. And I almost panicked because my laptop is less than a year old under my care.

----------------------------------
I would like to thank the staff of Jony's Resort, most especially to Ms. Khaye, for their warm welcome and for our wonderful stay there. I will surely be back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment