Sunday, July 6, 2014

Soba with Bacon Soup

The moment I woke up this morning, I looked for my sister's screwdriver collection for a suitable screwdriver to remove the covering of our electric fan. I have been meaning to clean our fan the past few weeks but I got busy and kept putting it off. After cleaning I went downstairs for a bite but to my disappointment, no breakfast was waiting for me.

So I looked into my food stash and saw a pack of buckwheat noodles which I bought months earlier. Being a ramen lover makes me want to cook different kinds of noodles, too. Since it was raining this morning, I thought it would be the perfect time to have a hot noodle soup.


And because this is an impromptu cooking activity, I had to make do with available ingredients at home. [At least the ones I can touch lest I incur the wrath of my mother.] I remembered I still have bacon strips left.

1. Submerge frozen bacon in hot water. Remove a few strips.
2. Do not throw away the water used. Set aside for use as soup base. The flavor from processed bacon will give your noodle soup a nice taste.
3. Boil soba noodles for 5 minutes.
4. Drain and rinse noodles with cold running water.
5. Pour water used to thaw bacon in pan. Bring to boil then add bacon strips.
6. Add more water as desired.
7. The fun part: Mix in your favorite condiments. In my case, I put a few dashed of McCormick Italian plus a bit of Thai chili sauce (this chili sauce is super hot even in very small quantity!)

Who would have thought that bacon can be fun even when not fried? Happy eating!
Note: I still prefer those sinfully greasy yet crunchy bacon strips...
____________________________
While enjoying this successful experiment, I cannot help but ruminate about how I was able to combine my exposure to Western liberalism and individualism and to Eastern mysticism. I think, having read a lot of Western literature and having experienced the wonders of the East, I was able to become a synthesizer that I am today, an eclectic who can adopt ideas and techniques as situations see fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment