Monday, August 11, 2014

Cinemalaya 2014 Part 2

Having watched three movies during the first week of August, just last Saturday (Aug. 9), I sneaked out of the house and went out to watch more. Initially I planned to watch two more of Cinemalaya's offerings: Children's Story and Separados but because I arrived at Trinoma at exactly 1:30PM and there was a VERY long line at the ticket booth, I decided to just watch Lucy which was showing at 1:45PM. But it should come to pass that it was already 1:52PM when my turn to buy tickets came. So I opted for Guardians of the Galaxy instead, which is showing in three minutes, and luckily I was still able to grab a seat out of the two left. Whew!

Guardians of the Galaxy is a fun movie about lesser known Marvel heroes. Misfits would be the more apt term. But whatever differences these criminals turned heroes have, they sure did a great job in protecting the galaxy from evil. Truth be told though, this isn't something I would normally shell out money for. But anyway, going on a self-date is fun and I wanted to watch two movies that day.



After that, I headed straight to the next cinema to watch Separados. The movie comprises of mini stories of characters who are in one way or another connected or related to each other. The main story focuses on a man who can't satisfy his wife thus ending their marriage in an annulment. The man meets a lovely girl whom he later on marries. As the church wedding is going on, the mini stories are shown like flashbacks. The common theme is failed marriage: a wife battering her husband, a husband who cheats on his wife, a wife who cheated on her husband thus leading to the husband being an alcoholic, a husband who admits that he is actually gay after 26 years of married life, a young man who wants to break free from his wife who taught to use drugs... (did I miss anything?)


For me, the movie is a statement against the rampant movies they churn out these days about married people having extramarital affairs. There is this one Sunday column I read in PDI and usually the letters are about husbands and wives alike cheating on their partners. It's just sad to think how we have all these cool technology and we're supposed to be civilized and yet we succumb to our base nature to feed our licentiousness.

Since I was on a self-date that day, I was more than pensive as I walked out of the theater. Is this fated, that I should watch this movie to glimpse of the many possible things that can happen if ever I were to get married? I'd like to go back to being an innocent kid who believes in fairy tales but I guess I've read and heard enough true stories about infidelity to make me be 100% sure of marriage.

On the happy side, I finally gave in to my cravings. For a month, I've been wanting to sink my teeth in those Bon Chon chicken which looked yummy when I laid eyes on them last month in Shangrila Mall. I was utterly disappointed that the flavor was only on the skin and did not sink down to the tender meat. JUJUJU!

Upon arriving home, I cooked smoked salmon in oilve oil... for the first time. It lacked character and mom says it was bland. I put in sliced black olives though I don't think people here appreciated it. I guess I'll have to do more research...

Cinemalaya 2014 Part 1

No comments:

Post a Comment