Sunday, September 13, 2015

September 2015 Part 1

September almost always is my busiest month but nowadays it's changing because I had to offload some activities temporarily to give way to new ones which I believe will help enrich my life. One of the things that have to go for now is traveling because not only does it eat up much of my time and keep me away from my family, I have also identified it as my biggest expense-incurring activity, which is bad because since the start of the year I have had very little savings.

So the first week of September I was elated to have spent less than P600. Would you believe that I was even able to buy groceries that week? But I promised myself never to buy lunch for one whole week but it was a success that spilled over to the second week and which I am hoping will continue this week until payday comes hopefully.

Except that this last week I overspent because of certain activities. I received a meeting invite in SM Megamall which was a bad idea scheduling it on that day. It rained hard and I bore witness to the floods in Ortigas and the slow-as-snail pace of vehicles. The other party was late because of this and so I had to buy snacks for myself lest I end up grumpy because of hunger. It was a fruitful meeting and I hope that my pet projects and one big project will push through.

For someone who did not experience having an org in college, being with one right now is not only a blessing but a privilege. Here I learned the importance of passionate volunteerism. Based on observations, people would sign up for just about anything but fail to deliver outputs. This presents a problem for the project organizers and for the org which provides the funding. Can't people be serious and treat volunteer work as something at par with salaried work? Okay people will argue that you don't get paid being a volunteer. My point is, then don't volunteer if you can't deliver. Simple as that. Problem is people are so good at biting more than what they can chew. (Which, forgive me for the digression, is also a big issue in the Philippines because people do not care about wasting food. Just go to any restaurant or food court and you will be indignant at how so much food is wasted while a lot of people are starving. Makes me really angry!!!)

Anyway, I'm learning a lot in the org. Phase 2 of the project is even more exciting because I already volunteered to be part of the measures and documentation team. LOL. Okaaay no more travels until end of the year and I hope that translates to savings. That is, if I succeed in keeping myself away from theaters...

Speaking of theaters, I watched DUP's season opener "#R</3J", a modern retelling of The Bard's classic Romeo and Juliet. I was disappointed with the play, over-all. However, it must be pointed out that the kinesthetics of this pay is well played out, leaving me awed. It's the first time that I left the theater feeling like I was cheated of my P200, to think that I came in late, NO THANKS to the heavy traffic in EDSA and the extra long queue at the jeepney terminal in SM North. I really really really miss having my early morning shift. #cries

After the play, S and I walked all the way to Maginhawa, our food haven because of the many food offerings there. And we promised to meet up more frequently to be able to experience each of the restos there, before they close up without notice. This seems to be the prevailing pattern in the area but I am happy to see that favorites are still there: Ate Fe's Kitchenette, Friuli, Crazy Katsu, Coffee Way... Sigh! Now I am saving up money for more food trips (and possibly explore Marikina's Lilac Street more. YUM!!!) Our choice for the night was IndonYaki and we shared an order of their fried lumpia and pancit canton. Simple but filling, delicious, and affordable!

Just yesterday, I went out to see Heneral Luna with an archaeo boy who's always been nice to me. Anyway, this is the third time we hang out together. The first time was when he was a new student and I had just finished my first year. The second time was some two month ago or so when we both agreed to dine at Likha Diwa and it was funny because there was no electricity but so determined we were to eat there that we didn't mind.

And boy did I enjoy the film despite the gore and violence. You see, Antonio Luna is my favorite hero in Philippine History, that on my first ever solo trip which happened in his province, I made sure to drop by the Luna house in Badoc. His infamous fiery temper must have added some charm to his extraordinary wit, military excellence, courage, and bravery. It's such a shame though that he was to fall in the hands of Filipinos. Shame on traitors and cowards, they don't know the meaning of true independence. Of course not much is known about Luna compared to Rizal which is double shame because for me, Antonio Luna is the best polymath. Would Rizal be involved in war? Let's not forget that he aimed for reformation and not complete independence. We cannot dismiss the fact that revolutionaries were inspired to act for Philippine independence after Rizal's death though.

But but but, did you know that Antonio Luna is not only a god of war incarnate, but also gifted with intellectual prowess? He was a licensed doctor and he won prizes for his research on tropical diseases. He was also an accomplished writer , having contributed to La Solidarid as Taga-Ilog, and later on founding La Independencia. What's more, he's gifted with foresight, like many of us from the moon! It is because of his near-perfect characteristics that he was to meet his demise at the hands of lowly creatures who could not bear to see his brilliance. Highly principled and a strict disciplinarian, he did what he could to set the first Philippine military right earning the ire of high ranking officials whose interests lie elsewhere. It is no wonder that Aguinaldo and his men would rather have him dead than to have the Philippines liberated from the Americans under Luna's military command. Oh the shame, this social disease is still as prevalent in modern times. Just why can't people just focus on the ultimate goal and cooperate???

Antonio Luna is one rare gem, alongside Gerogorio del Pilar. You know what the bonus in the film is? There is a VERY BIG chance that they're creating a movie centered on Gregorio del Pilar!!! Why am I excited? Because Gregorio del Pilar is my second most favorite hero in Philippine history! I never get tired of reading about these two. :)

After the movie, C and I had early dinner at Shi Lin in Trinoma. I had high expectations because I enjoyed my experience at Lucky Chinatown branch but these were not met in this branch, unfortunately. The photos in the menu are misleading when it comes to size and portions. My face fell when I saw the Japanese tofu being served. The congee and noodles were okay but I could have ordered the same someplace and not spend a fortune. the xiaolongbao is still heavenly though so maybe I'll just drop by this place when I have cravings again. As for noodles, there's always Lanzhou Ramen and Shanghai Ramen.


No comments:

Post a Comment