Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Hong Kong 2015

So for the third consecutive year since 2013, I found myself in Hong Kong again. I wss supposed to book a flight to Taiwan to attend a seminar but found budget inns too expensive still. So in the end I chose HK since I can stay at relatives' house. I'd also like to see my cousins again, to somehow make up for lost time. I'm afraid they might grow up too fast.

I arrived in HK at around 6PM. Bus from the airport to an aunt's house was pretty convenient. In my trip last year I already learned the art of commuting by bus since it's cheaper though not too easy for a non-local. But I took down notes on what bus to take to go to my relatives' houses last year so I'm still confident I wouldn't get lost.

My first night was spent in front of my cousin's computer since I had yet to finish my powerpoint presentation and the script that would go with it for my reader who requested to have the files sent early so she could review them.  my cousins must have laughed hard deep within seeing me nodding off sleepily while still typing away. Sigh. I still am glad to have finished the other paper last Sunday.

The following day, I went to Tin Shui Wai in New Territories with my aunt to see the Wetland Park. It's too far from Kowloon so the trip ate up a big portion of my Octopus card load. Still itbwas nice having the chance to walk around. I like Singapore's Palau Ubin more though. For late lunch, my aunt treated me to Café de Coral, the number one fastfood chain in HK. I love the fact that it served veggies, too.

The 27th and the 28th were spent in the seminar. I did get to walk around Central and Wan Chai and even saw the exhibits at the Geological Museum inside Hong Kong University. HKU now has an MTR station unlike the last time when I had to walk far just to see it. It's one of my dream universities...

Also, going around Central and Wan Chai, I found Philippine-related markers. Two were related to Rizal because Rizal lived for a time there and was even acquainted with Sun Yat Sen.

On Saturday, I had my first biking experience. It was really awesome! Thing is, I rode a bike with trainer wheels since I don't trust myself when it comes to extreme sports. It's a good thing I did otherwise I wouldn't be able to enjoy the beautiful sceneries we passed by. Did I say that it rained that morning so I got to also visit the Hong Kong Heritage Museum? But we only saw the temporary exhibit on Bruce Lee's life.

On Sunday I went to the wet market with another aunt. I love going to markets to see fruits and vegetables and fish. Everything looks perfect in HK and my aunts would joke that they inject chemicals into the fruits to make them look juicy and fresh. LOL

Then it was time to go. That afternoon, I would have loved to stay one more day and attend a concert. But I guess, that will have to be for next year. I really hope my sisters can go with me to HK so ny aunts can get busy wth them while I take off on my own. I love spending time with myself especially when abroad. I do appreciate and enjoy their company though. They teach me the real meaning of family, something I do not experience with my relatives on my mom's side.

No comments:

Post a Comment