Sunday, September 17, 2017

First Night in New House

Around this time last month, my parents, a sister, and I slept in our new house in the north. It was a tiring day having to unload all our stuff from the car and then finding the space to place our things. The house is smaller than our previous house and we had to move due to financial difficulties. (It is hard to do business in PH because of poor government implementation. We have brilliant minds and brilliant ideas that look good only on paper but do not get carried out faithfully in real life. In addition to that, traditional people need to keep up with the fast-changing world lest they lose in the rat race. The world is already full of evil and cunning people, the ones who will do everything just to get to the top.  I wonder how they can sleep soundly at night knowing the harm they do to other people. Okaaaay, I digress...)

Since the stove and cooking utensils were still in our former house, we had dinner at a restaurant nearby. We had all my favorite food: roast beef, calamares, and tempura. During lunchtime, I only had mangoes and rice because my dad bought lechon liempo and I got furious because he hadn't thought of me. (I don't like pork.) We also bought Jollibee chickenjoy meals but these were just enough for the workers. What happened was, on the way to the new house, we stopped by a Jollibee drive-through and ordered value meals while my sister went down to buy our food in the shop besiide Jollibee. After getting our purchases, we waited for sister at the exit. Much to my dismay, she bought lechon liempo (roast pork) instead of lechon manok (roast chicken). Since we were in a hurry, I resigned myself to fate. Thank heavens we brought mangoes with us. At least it felt like eating sushi.

roast beef: we all love the sauce

Like the calamares, the tempura lacks character and taste. Maybe the cook forgot to add salt!!!
We slept super late that night because there still were a lot of things to do. It was a simple night: the parents slept on a matress-less bed, made comfortable only by the thick blanket I was able to bring. My sister and I shared the sofa bed. Good thing I was able to bring a small pillow. Since we were all dead tired, we fell asleep immediately only to be woken by barks outside and my paranoid parents grew suspicious and anxious. Thank God the next day was a holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment