Monday, October 10, 2011

A Message 2

"If you're honest, dedicated, and committed, no one can pull you down."

Perfect timing as usual. These days, I'm thinking of how bleak and uncertain the future is. Lately, my relatives have joined the fray in discouraging me to pursue archaeology saying that it's worthless, a waste of time and money, and that I'm better off marrying a rich man and/or pursuing a lucrative career in law. Well, I do plan to go to law school, but for the meantime, I mean to enjoy life and pursue what has been of interest to me since my childhood days. Adults, they really do not understand anything and they think that they know everything. Sad. They don't even know what archaeology is and they do not bother to find out what we archaeologists do. Sadder still because they want me to pursue a common ordinary life. Who would be happy with just earning money and not living life the way you want it lived?

And then there are issues concerning people who keep on looking at other people's achievements and trying to pull them down. I have recently read an article in the Chinese newspapers regarding envy and its good and bad sides. The article says that the bad side of envy is that a person does whatever it takes to pull an achiever down. That "downer" is a complete loser, instead of focusing on his own improvement, he attempts to destroy other people's lives without realizing that it is his life he is destroying. And then there's the good side which propels and motivates one to do his best and to continue improving.

I do not agree with the article. Instead of envy, perhaps the author should have written "admiration". On the other hand, looking back, I really was envious of other people, especially those who are really intelligent and smart, not just academically but also in practical aspects. They became a sort of model for me to strive hard and to put my best foot forward. But I'm all over that phase now. At present, I admire a lot of people, and they are not just intellectually gifted, but also visionaries and have a big heart for people. I think the latter's what make me admire them more.

I wonder if the above quote is true. Sometimes it also takes a strong heart and strong convictions to resist the negative vibes of people. For now I guess I'll just have to focus on my studies and to remain committed to what I am doing. Perhaps, someday, people will see the significance of my work. Perhaps not. Either way, at least  followed my heart. Whatever decisions I make now will greatly affect the future. But what the hell, the present is more important.

No comments:

Post a Comment