Thursday, October 20, 2011

Whose Fault Is It?: The Case of Yueyue

Just now, I read about news articles related to Yueyue of Foshan, Guangdong, a two year old girl who was run over twice. As she lay dying on the road, nobody came to her rescue, not even the passers-by. The CCTV camera has shown evidence of the indifference shown by those who pretended not to see the girl. Later on, a garbage collector saw the girl and with her cries, alerted the mother who then took the child to the hospital.

Before anything else, I join many others in expressing indignation at the indifference and lack of sympathy of the passersby who did nothing for the girl. I wonder how people could be so heartless, even with an innocent child.

And I wonder what the mother was doing at that time. News articles say that the mother and Yueyue went shopping and that the latter wandered off. How come the mother didn't even look for her two year old girl? I do not mean to judge but in China where boys are preferred over girls, I can't help thinking that the mother's lack of vigilance resulted in this tragedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment