Friday, July 13, 2012

Chicken Liver Adobo

Yesterday I accompanied my mom to the wet market, acting as her PA and also as adviser on what to buy. While buying chicken breast, I saw chicken liver and asked her to buy some and she did. So upon arriving home, when she asked me what we'll be having for dinner, I promptly replied, "Chicken liver adobo!"

Now to be honest, I never liked chicken liver in my younger days and it used to be included in my list of disgusting foods. That is, until one day I tried it out just for the sake of seeing if maybe I can give it a chance. And well, I liked the texture and the taste and the rest is history.

How to cook chicken liver adobo (or adobong atay ng manok)? Basically I sauteed a few thin ginger slices and one whole garlic bulb (pounded of course) in a cooking pan. When golden brown, I put in half a kilo of chicken liver. When the liver was slightly cooked, I added soy sauce, cane vinegar, some laurel leaves, and slightly pounded peppercorns for that wonderful aroma. Now I don't use any measuring tools, I am the kind of cook who uses her taste buds to adjust the amount of condiments.

Put in a little water, approximately 2 cups. Cover the pan. You have to check once in a while if the sauce is already at an acceptable level. I turned off the stove once I see that some liver melted into the sauce and personally, I like this a lot since it gives an extra flavor to the sauce.

Chicken liver is actually healthy. In fact, animal livers are healthy because they are rich in Iron and it's good for people who are anemic. Other nutritional benefits that one may get from chicken liver include Vitamins A, B2, B6, B9, B12, Niacin, and essential amino acids. The only downside is that chicken liver is high in cholesterol content and people at risk for heart diseases should control the amount of chicken liver they eat.

References:




No comments:

Post a Comment