Friday, November 8, 2013

Thor 2: The Dark World (2013)

Last year during our archaeological excavation in Batangas, a fellow archaeologist and I went out one Sunday to go out of our way just to see The Avengers. Earlier, I had seen Thor and I was very curious to see how the superheroes would be united. And one of the BIG plus of The Avengers was that the big names in the movie industry who have endeared themselves to countless Marvel fans would be put in one single movie. The two movies were such big hits mainly due to the action-packed scenes combined with very witty dialogue [that's just to be expected when you have Loki and Ironman]. So this year, when Thor: The Dark World was to be shown in theaters, I made plans to watch in the moviehouse. That opportunity materialized when a close friend announced she just finished her exams and so was already free to go gallivanting again. She contacted me and asked if we could have a movie date. I said YES without a second thought. That very day we watched Thor: The Dark World at Trinoma.


Never mind that I waited more than an hour for my date. I was not really expecting much with the new Thor movie because I've learned my lesson well, that first movies are always nice but the succeeding ones suck. But then there was Loki who kept me wondering what new tricks he would unleash. And I wanted to know very badly how he will be portrayed in the movie.

When in the first movie I was more into Sif, this time, my eyes were fully on Loki, that naughty trickster who steals the limelight away from his too serious and too good brother Thor. Tom Hiddleston does a very brilliant job of playing the role of Loki and making that cunning character more than adorable. Despite being imprisoned for his many crimes, Loki never relinquished his desire to be the ruler of Asgard. But when his adoptive mother Frigga (Thor's mother) dies at the hands of Malekith, one could very well see Loki's thirst for revenge. This time, the god of thunder was able to use his head and craft a brilliant plan on how to save his lady love Jane Foster who was infected by the Aether, a substance of tremendous power. He does this by banking on his brother's rage. 

If there's one thing I hated about the movie, it's that WHY IS IT THAT EVERYTIME JANE FOSTER AND THOR MEET THEY ALWAYS TRY TO KISS RIGHT AWAY??? That's just so UGH! Can't we have a decent superhero who can be all heroic even without a lady love??? And it is for this reason I wish Jane Foster wouldn't be in the next movie hehehe!

AND... it's certain that there will be a sequel to this because SPOILER ALERT: (don't read below if you don't like spoilers)

Because in the end, the Odin sitting on the Asgardian throne turns out to be Loki, who apparently, didn't die during the brothers' plan to get the aether out of Jane Foster using Malekith's powers. Now, what happened to Odin???

Also, who is the collector to whom Thor gives the sealed aether? I can sense something evil in that collector. And Sif doesn't seem to trust him either. 

And speaking of Sif, when in the previous movie I was rooting for the Sif-Thor pairing, now I'm thinking that maybe Sif would be better of with exciting Loki...

No comments:

Post a Comment