Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Hot Christmas

This year's Christmas feels different. Everybody was complaining of the unusual heat. Previous years saw me sporting jackets whenever we attend the misa de gallo but this year, I wore sleeveless tops most of the time because of the unbearable heat. Cold winds rose only a few days after Christmas, leaving me too weak to get up from bed. Turned out I was on the verge of suffering a viral attack. Good thing I still found the strength to make my own hot calamansi juice. And quickly consumed a number of ponkan and kiat kiat for added Vitamin C. Getting sick during the holidays suck coz one won't be able to eat as much. (Though on second thought maybe I should welcome that to make sure I don't gain weight... LOL)

Compared to Christmases the previous years, this year's Christmas seems to pass by without much ceremony so in a way I was happier. I just hate the commercialization of the holidays. I hate Christmas dinners (except at home of course) and not to mention silly exchange gifts, most especially since there are still those who buy stuffs which are pretty useless and just eat up space. I'd rather have food anytime rather than receive something I can't use. Better yet, I love Christmas cards and long letters. Group messages through Facebook and SMS are the norm now, which is sad. I've seen 18th-19th century letters and these are always full wise words, not to mention beautiful prose. We in this digital age have lost the art of writing beautifully. Sigh!

I remember way back in highschool when I tried to revive this old-fashioned custom, being quite the old-fashioned girl that I am who seem stuck in the Romantic Age. Not a week passes by without me sending letters to my close friends. And when December creeps in, I kept myself busy composing letters for my friends, each personalized, with real messages from me to them. But of course, the main point is wishing them happy holidays and to ask them to forget me not. Some would return the favor so I have accumulated quite a stack of letters. (Most are just about crushes with code names so reading them now transported me back to the time when I was a giddy highschool girl, always falling in and out of love, getting rejected and rejecting in turn. So I am reminded again of Honey and Clover, one of the two shoujo animé that I really liked for its realistic portrayals of characters in search of love and their own selves...)

No comments:

Post a Comment