Sunday, December 8, 2013

Reconnecting 2

It's been almost 8 years since I hang out with my high school friends. We used to wander in the mall near our school on weekends during highschool after we finish school projects. We used to have group photos taken afterwards. But now just about everybody owns a camera phone and still we failed to have photos taken. it could have been one ultra memorable night, a night when I fulfilled my promise to reconnect with those who matter to me. After many years of little or almost no interaction even on Facebook, I  realize last night just how much those people mean to me and how much I love them.

We didn't talk about our highschool past, save for some bitter memories of a friend E who had to repeat freshman level in highschool. I, too, still cannot get over that. I thought I would lose him forever, but I was still lucky to have been recruited into the soccer team so I still was able to hang out with my three male friends E, R, and J. Those three are some of the nicest boys I knew in my life. It's interesting to see that now we each have taken our separate paths, two engineers, two in the medical field, one (P who was absent last night) is in sales, and me, a drifter. It just feels so different being with these people now since I have known them for years, and at the same time, there's this warm feeling that envelops me, like what I feel when I go home after a long travel.

It all started with a dream. One day I dreamed of E. And a day after that, he "poked" me on Facebook, which really surprised me because our last online conversation was me congratulating him for passing the board exam. So I chatted him up and asked if he would be interested to have a mini reunion with our other friends. We were 7 initially but two didn't make it (P and Ro). 

At first everything was awkward. I was a bit nervous because what if they find me very different now from what I used to be? Apparently, they think Eu and I are still the same--- baby faces and all, LOL! It helps that J, who's always ready with his quick and witty retorts and funny jokes was around to break the ice. From their stories, I'm happy to know that at least those three boys are close as ever. I see in them what they say about how deep the bonds are in male friendship. I guess I'm a bit envious and I wish I were boy so I could partake of that innocent and carefree bliss. Eu, P, and I just dated earlier this year, but I still miss those two girl friends of mine. P and I are even planning a trip abroad next year and we already bought our plane tickets. (Needless to say, I am EXCITED!!!)

So last night I treated them to some Japanese food. And we hang out at Mezza Norte afterwards, eating isaw, barbeque, nachos, and takoyaki. While being with them, I thought of how cruel fate is. The first blow was in first year when we all leveled up to the next leaving E behind. The second was in our last year, when we all were separated from each other. At least, J, R, and D (he wasn't with us last night) were together in one class. I was with C but at that time he started to hang out with other people. Eu was in another section but she also had friends there. P was, well, you can put P anywhere and she easily gain friends. In retrospect, I did meet the boys' other friend "I" who sat beside me and who for a time, they suspected of being my crush. (Intrigues coming from boys are rather weird!) I did like the guy but only as a person. :P

Last night felt surreal. I hope we get to hang out more. After last night, I think I have found something I lost all these years since I began my studies in UP. And I am glad they stayed wholesome, they neither drink nor smoke. And I discovered they could be just the people to temper the wild child in me. And right now I'm missing them...

Read my initial post on Reconnecting and also this personal favorite of mine on how I acknowledged my faults

No comments:

Post a Comment