Sunday, December 1, 2013

Holler Baler 1116172013

Just when I thought my post-rainy season would be boring and without any trips, I was invited by an office friend to join her and her friends to Baler, Aurora. I said yes without a second thought. Okay I did think twice because of the typhoons at that time. It was October then and consecutive typhoons have been visiting the eastern part of Luzon.

On November 15, Friday, we left the office at 8PM, my first time to do so since I am always trying to go home early to avoid the rush hour. But since we were bound to depart Manila at midnight, it was okay.

The Genesis bus was very strict with reservations so we opted to take ES Transport bus to Cabanatuan first (fare is P185) then take another bus to Baler. We got off at Cabanatuan terminal and the full was very full, very beautiful but I failed to take a photo because I was still sleepy and only wanted to resume sleeping. The second bus was non-airconditioned under D Liner (fare was P176) and it was a very uncomfortable ride. It felt like being on a ship during a storm. In the end, for terrible want of sleep, I ignored the bumpy ride and let myself lose consciousness.


On the morning of the 16th at around 6AM, we arrived at Baler Centro and were welcomed by tricycles contracted by Secret Spot Baler where we would be staying. Secret Spot Baler lives up to its name. It's located in a party secluded area in front of Sabang beach, perfect for those who seek peace and quiet.

We had buffet breakfast (P170) at Bay's Inn, a posh resort-like inn. Bay's Inn is where the surfing schools are. We had our fill of breakfast fare there and couldn't believe how cheap the buffet cost there in comparison to those in Manila.


After breakfast, we napped for a while at Secret Spot Baler and then proceeded to Balete tree. It's said to be 400 years old (but some would say 500 or 600) and is one of the oldest in Asia. I stumbled upon this interesting post about Baler's famous Balete tree. After that, we had lunch at a roadside eatery. Since all dishes were pork, I had no choice but to eat pinakbet and half an order of rice (P35).

We headed to the famous Ditumabo falls. I was more than excited because it's been a long time since I did some nature-tripping. Also, having experienced Ille's 14 waterfalls, I thoroughly thirsted for more waterfall adventures and am craving for ts cool, crystal clear waters. The trek to Ditumabo (aka Mother falls) was a difficult one though. The rocks were slippery and the currents were strong. I had a hard time moving in the rope part of the trek because of the strong current.


We spent a long time in the falls, enjoying the cool waters and marvelling at the beauty of Ditumabo falls. One must never skip this when visiting Baler!

It was already around 5PM when we got back to Sabang beach and we were offered an extra half hour if we avail of surfing lesson services at that time. We had second thoughts but proceeded anyway. It was a bad decision because I couldn't see a thing without my glasses and it was already getting dark. We were taught the basics of surfing. I was able to get up and experience some 5 seconds of surfing glory but I guess that was my limit. I had to remember to balance my feet once I get up the board. But after that glorious 5 seconds, the waves would always push me off my board. It happened thrice and the last had me washed ashore by consecutive waves and I was suddenly afraid I was going to die...

It was already dark when we quit and the waves were becoming more and more furious. We all washed up and prepared for buffet dinner at Gerry Shan's Place (P185). There were a lot of food to choose from and they even have leche flan!

After dinner, we hang out at the plaza near the church where they were having a public showing of This Guy's in Love with U Mare!. And then it was time to sleep.

The next day, Sunday, I failed to wake up at 5AM to catch the Sunday mass in Baler Church. So I just took photos of the dawn at the beach. We had free coffee (courtesy of Secret Spot Baler) and bread toast bought by one of our companions. So no hungry moment. We had early lunch at Carlito's, buffet style again. At P120, it was I think our most favorite. Most memorable was their fried chicken which I couldn't get enough of.


We did a quick city tour, visiting Museo Baler, Baler Church, and Doña Aurora´s house. I was rather surprised to find underwater archaeology as part of the exhibit in Museo Baler. Maybe there's a scuba training school there? I'd like to find out and see if I can enroll. (Note to self: learn how to swim properly first.)

We went back to Secret Spot Baler afterwards and just chilled there. We chatted with Auntie Rose, the owner of Secret Spot Baler, and were impressed by her knowledge of the history of Baler. Such a pity that I wasn't able to watch the film Baler. I could've asked around about the film's shooting places, etc.


Before boarding the bus to Cabanatuan, this time, with Aurora Lines (fare was P247), we shopped under pressure in just 15 minutes. I was able to buy only a small bottle of their famous Nanay Pacing's peanut butter (P140). When I got home and had a taste, I understood why it was expensive. Very creamy and smooth texture. So that settles it and I told myself, there are very very good reasons to go back to Baler:
1. learn to surf properly
2. go back to Carlito's and try out other food establishments.
3. see Dikasalarin beach and Tunayan falls
4. buy more of Nanay Pacing's peanut butter
5. Trek to Ditumabo falls again!
6. visit Artist Village
7. see Pag-asa tower
8. go island hopping
9. ride a boat to Ermita Hill
10. if with a companion that has the same level of audacity as me, take a boat to Pollilo Island then to Quezon Province...

one of the views in Castaneda on the way to Cabanatuan terminal. The water looks inviting and perfect for kayaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment