Wednesday, June 25, 2014

May

May perhaps is the busiest month of 2014 because of my many commitments. Last March, I received an email saying that I qualified as a candidate for the Wikimedia Cultural Heritage Mapping Project to be held in Herald Suites. I was ecstatic, since I know I'd be meeting a lot of like-minded fellows whose interests include travelling and cultural heritage. I was happy to see two fellow archaeologists so I didn't feel out of place that much.

The three-day workshop was fun although it also made me quite grumpy because I didn't get my much-needed cutie sleep. Everyday we learned a lot of things, from creating Wiki articles, to editing existing ones, to lectures on photography and architecture. And every night we needed to stay up until early morning to finish some exercises, leaving no room for sleep. But it was one great experience despite the challenge of resisting the urge to fall asleep during lectures due to lack of sleep. It was still a miracle that the speakers were able to fully hold my attention and I am proud to say that I only fell asleep once and it only lasted for less than 10 minutes. Well, for one, the lectures were interesting and I couldn't just pass up the chance to learn more about architectural styles.

One memorable moment of my life happened in May. Travelling to Batanes used to be just a dream but now it is a dream come true! I super love the simple way of life there. I love watching the clouds go by. I love how the heavens would surprise you with quick rainshowers and then the mighty sun would come out again and spread its hot rays all over. I love the breathtaking views. I love the food (especially the lobsters!!!), I love the people whose beautiful eyes make me stare at them for so long. But like a beautiful dream, it has to end and poor me has to go back to chaotic Manila.

An important activity that I added to my already long list of things to do is hitting the gym. Finally! I just wish my efforts pay off since as of writing, I have yet to see any improvement though some of my friends remarked that I've slimmed down a little.

As a Wiki volunteer, we were assigned to scout for built heritage within our vicinity and I'm happy to discover places I wouldn't have thought to go to. I also went out twice with a fellow volunteer and I'm happy to know that this guy also likes animé. Yay! And he´s got a lot of titles in his collection. :) (If only we have 30 hours instead of 24... I miss being able to do a marathon...) And I finally got to visit F. Sionil Jose's Solidaridad Bookshop where I bought books related to built heritage and history. Made a big dent on my wallet, I must say.

As bonus, my family and I went to Antipolo for our annual pilgrimage. We then had lunch at F.I.S.H. along Visayas Avenue and I highly recommend the place to all seafood lovers out there. The food there is delicious, servings are generous, and the price is reasonable. Service is okay, too. So what more can you ask for? It's very rare that we reach a consensus that we like a restaurant and this one earns just that.

May also marks my first movie night out with the coolest people in the office. We watched X-Men Days of Future Past and had gelato at Gelatissimo. I wish we could hang out more outside office hours.

The last day of May was spent at the music studio where I attended my first and last practice for our rehearsal the following day. Still lucky to have had practiced a bit at home despite the looong time I haven't had classes. Seeing how others play inspired me again to put my heart into playing the violin. We went home super late and super tired, too. On the plus side, my friend and I got to hang out together again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment