Thursday, December 25, 2014

Cosé Home for the Aged, SJDM, Bulacan

Last Sunday, I joined a friend and her friends to play santa to a group of old ladies at Cosé Home for the Aged in San Jose del Monte, Bulacan. The experience was a humbling one as it gave me something to think about about old age. An empath like myself could feel their difficulty in moving around so I made sure to be extra attentive to their needs.

dolls made by the lolos and lolas of the community
Because it's not enough for me to just drop by and give gifts to people, the journalist in me interviewed some of them, those willing to share their stories, so that I may share them to people. I've always loved stories about past experiences because they allow me to glimpse into the human psyche and to understand human behavior as a whole. Also, gaining their trust and confidence makes me feel good as it means that I am doing a fine job in being an anthropologist.

close up view of the dolls
Nanay Benny (Benilda Policarpio)
 For instance, I was shocked when Nanay Benny (above) suddenly told me how she ended up in the home for the aged. Her daughter-in-law didn't want her around because for the son's wife, Nanay Benny was grabbing all the attention at home. I was shocked that the son would consent to sending his own mother to a home for the aged just for that petty reason. There might, however, be other reasons, and I cannot judge as I heard only one side of the story. 

Nanay Ces (Cesita Orale)
Nanay Ces above, on the other hand, served as a nanny to a family in Malabon. The family still sends her gifts regularly. Nanay Ces seems to be happy with the arrangement though and still vividly recalls her days of service to the family. 

Nanay Teresita Pereira and Nanay Juanita Ortega
The two above told stories of their lovers even at their present age! Nanay Teresita has a more interesting story. She is said to always go to the grotto to meet up with her boyfriend. Also, she gives whatever money she has to a volunteer at the home for the aged. She has only one wish, to see her brother Bonifacio Pereira who is now based in the US. The volunteer told us that her brother has taken all the money and has left the country since. When asked why she still wants to see her brother, Nanay Teresita says she just wants to know how he is ("kamustahin siya"). That in itself touched me deeply. Here is a free woman whose heart knows true love.

I would love to go back to the community if only to spend time with them again. All the while I was in there, I couldn't help but think of my grandmother who is lucky to have us, her daughters and grandchildren visit her every Sunday.

The old ladies of Cosé may be living together in a home for the aged, away from their blood and kin. But they have found a family which values them and which still gives meaning to their lives.

-------------------------------------------
The whole experience made me want to volunteer more in the coming years. I would also love to spend time with children in the orphanage. I'd like to somehow reach out to them so that they won't feel unloved in this cold, dark world. The world has enough of "petty" lives because of lack of love and warmth. I think it's grace that people with no blood relations can brighten up other people's lives.

3 comments:

  1. Hello! Greetings. I just want to know where to find this home for the elderly? I can't locate it in the web. Is it listed online? Kindly supply me with it's address. Thanks. Good day & God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello again! Sorry if I forgot to introduce myself, I'm Dionisio C. Sarmiento of Brgy. Muzon, CSJDM, Bulacan. I would also like to be a channel of good God's blessing to them. Again, thanks and God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Magandang gabi po tanung ko lng po paano po mag inquire para sa 82 year old na babae

    ReplyDelete