Thursday, December 11, 2014

Dragon's Back, Shek O County, HK

As I have already mentioned in this post, before I visited HK last year, all I knew about HK was that it was a shopping haven. Who would have thought that nature lovers like me will also see its different side?

Truth be told, I didn't enjoy much this hike although I was overly eager on that day. I guess the company is very important when it comes to hiking. One cannot enjoy as much as one wants to when she is with those who do not find pleasure in nature. My companions tagged along without knowing what to expect.

view from the first peak
 I have read that the hike through the entire trail would take 8 hours so I equipped myself with two bottles of water. I was more than prepared. But all my preparations were put in vain because my companions wanted to leave the place already. That was just after only 30 minutes of hiking!

Needless to say, I was saddened because it was a beautiful day and the trail was not difficult at all. Yes, the sun's hot rays burned our skin a bit but most of the trail was in the shade so there shouldn't be any problem.

an invitation to Dragon's Back
 So anyway, I will have to go back there again. Will probably do so in spring when the weather's cooler.
the rolling terrain in this part was enjoyable

_______________________________
I've often believed people when they say they'd love to hike even though they've never tried it before. But because of this incident, I guess I will have to be more careful in picking out companions lest my hike be in vain. Just when I thought I'd be able to complete the hike! 

On second thought maybe it was inconsiderate of me. But I did ask if they'd want to go hiking and if they have prior experience. They said yes, so I took comfort in their words. I guess people would seldom admit to their shortcomings and would more often than not portray themselves as better than they actually are.

Another note: I'm not angry at all at my aunt and niece. It's just that I felt like I was robbed of the beauty of nature this time because of my plans were suddenly cut short. I do appreciate that they wanted to tag along, perhaps out of concern for me. For that, I am still thankful to them. I just hope that one day, I will finish the trail. Will probably go there alone for a more contemplative hiking experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment