Monday, March 23, 2015

Malabon to Escolta

For some reason tonight I feel like blogging. Probably because the net is okay and we seldom get that. Scanning the many photos I have taken in just three months since the beginning of 2015, I can say there definitely is a lot of work to be done.

Early in January, I revisited Malabon, for the third time this time, with a fellow Wiki workshop participant. (Unfortunately he decided not to do anything during the certification period so he didn't become a certified volunteer.) He was willing to accompany me though and I'm happy about that because I would need an architect to help me with determining architectural styles since most houses are tricky.

We met at San Bartolome Church on an early Sunday morning. Since mass had started, I decided to hear mass first before looking for him. Since Malabon is dear to me, I still take a lot of pictures of my favorite finds. What makes my visit then extra special was that we got to enter an ancestral house where we spent some time talking about the windows, the ceilings, the floors made of wooden planks... It's what I love most when traveling, getting to know the local flavor through the people, the food, and the old structures. I wish I can go on doing this.

retablo of San Bartolome Church

Facade of San Bartolome Church


near the wet market

Exaltation of the Holy Cross Parish

drawing on a tile displayed outside a house

interiors of an ancestral mansion

because I rarely get inside an ancestral house: obligatory photo!

After walking around in Malabon, I went straight to Escolta where I was to meet with my family for Sunday lunch. It brought me back to where it all started. Living in Manila during my childhood, I was highly selective on where we hear mass and would only be happy when we heard mass in Binondo Church. Later on during my college days, I took great solace in walking on the streets of Quiapo, Santa Cruz, and Binondo like an annual pilgrimage of sorts. Would you not feel the magnificence of these old buildings which withstood the test of time? Does your heart pound not at the sight of these wondrous architectural styles? They invoke in me a sense of wonder, stirring my soul, inspiring my whole being...

Don Ramon Santos Building (a.k.a. BPI Escolta Building)

Regina Building

UNO Seafood Wharf Restaurant housed on the ground floor of Calvo Building


My second Malabon experience was just mentioned in passing HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment