Sunday, May 17, 2015

Lingayen: Pangasinan Mapping Part 1

Last March, I was set to go to Laguna to map on my own because my buddy was too busy to accompany me and I was already worried I might not be able to meet the requirements and May was fast approaching. But during a meeting, a fellow volunteer whom I hardly talk to and who also had problems setting schedules with her buddy asked me if we could go map together instead. Since I also wanted to map Pangasinan mainly because it's a big province with many towns which means many churches, I happily said yes!

We had misadventures while in the bus terminal, being uninformed of the schedules. So we had to try the inconvenient way (i.e. lots of commutes instead of just one comfy bus ride). It doesn't help that the bus we took had very uncomfortable seats, you wouldn't be able to sleep a wink! So when we arrived at Lingayen, the first thing we did was check in at President Hotel then set out to map while it wasn't that hot yet.

Epiphany of Our Lord Parish Church, Lingayen
In the middle of mapping we stopped by for halo-halo break and because the small kiosk was strategically located under a comfy shade, both of us almost slept right then and there. When we couldn't take it anymore, we decided to go back to President Hotel for early lunch and it was funny how both of us fell asleep while in the dining room and the waiter had to call us and strike the porcelain bowls like gongs many times just to wake us up. Of course I was already in a bad mood then because I hate not getting much shut-eye.

We ate in silence and after that, headed to our room. I took my much-needed afternoon nap while my partner recharged her phones and was busy contacting the tourism officer assigned to help us out. At least I got some 30 minutes nap before we set out to map again. :)

The mapping activity bore fruits so I quickly forgot about the heat and how tired I am. We saw two Gabaldon buildings inside Pangasinan National High School!!! And how I love the arches!

One of the two Gabaldon buildings inside Pangasinan National High School
 Aside from heritage houses, we also found the ruins of an old colegio for girls. It is now enclosed in a private property but we were allowed to go check the ruins. Only the structural framework was left since the Dominican sisters ripped out materials from the edifice to construct a new school somewhere in San Manuel town.

ruins of the Colegio del Santissimo Rosario
Other heritage structures of note are of course the Municipal Hall which is the most beautiful of all that I've ever laid eyes on. Bonus is that people can go inside and be awed at how elegant the interiors are. Another good thing about Lingayen City is that you rarely see people smoke and the area is very clean. It doesn't feel like one is in the Philippines LOL! I wish all towns and cities will follow Lingayen's example.

interiors of the Municipal Hall
 We were also surprised to find an auditorium which is dubbed as "CCP of the North". I hope eventually they cultivate classical music or better yet, folk or local music. I would love to attend performances here one day.
Sison Auditorium
It was also my first time to go inside a prison house. It was an old structure and we were able to glimpse the life of prisoners there. At least they are being productive by engaging in craft-making activities which are sold as souvenirs. Bonus is that the main materials used are used plastic bottles.
At night, my buddy and I spent considerable time at the beach lying on the sands and just talking about different things. It's our getting-to-know-each-other moment and I was happy to find an old soul. I hope we get to be real friends for life. Except our bonding moment was ruined because mosquitoes were suddenly flocking towards us and at the end of the night I got a LOT of bites. Ugh!

beautiful sunrise at Lingayen beach
 The following day we rose up early to catch the sunrise at the beach. It was beautiful. Lingayen Beach is one of those underrated beaches.
sweets at Pasalubong Center
 Before we left Lingayen for another town, we stopped by the Pasalubong Center. I bought 3 bottled bangus and all of these were wonderfully made. They can even rival foreign brands!
bottled bangus
 Also it was a delight to see that Pangasinan boasts of many other crafts as well:
bamboo speakers

swords

bags

cleaning materials
 Let's buy LOCAL!

Next: Binmaley: Pangasinan Mapping Part 1

No comments:

Post a Comment