Thursday, July 30, 2015

Museo de la Historia de Tabasco: Casa de los azulejos

After visiting La Venta and the Museum of Natural History in Villahermosa, I took the combi and asked to be dropped off in Plaza Armas but was dropped off the the historic center (centro histórico) which was bustling with commercial activity. It was a hot day and my camera and phone were running out of battery.


It is during these times when I truly appreciate having had to deposit my bag before going around the museum. A kindly lady saw the plastic bag I had with me and offered me a more decent medium-sized shopping bag, the kind promoted by environmentalist grocery stores. I asked to have my gadgets charged and they kindly let me while I went around the museum. It was also a relief to find that they have free wifi so I was able to contact my friend in Constitucion, Campeche. (You may want to read about my misadventures HERE.)


True to its name, I was bowled over when I entered to find the walls and floors all covered with azulejos. I first came to know about azulejos in my last trip to Laguna when my buddy pointed out the painted tiles inside a church there. The museum houses a few artifacts on the history of Tabasco, asserting that Mexico had its beginnings in this Mexican state attributed to the Olmecs and later on to the Mayas. 


While the collection of artifacts dating to preHispanic times pale heavily in comparison to what the Museum of Anthropology has in the Federal District, what is remarkble in this museum is the collection of preserved vintage objects like TV, radio, jukebox, horse carriage, sewing machine, and others.


The museum also has a banner of Tabasco's escudo which was heavily influenced by the Russian Bolsheviks and which shows pride of place for its fertile lands. Despite its few collection, a visit to this museum is worth it if one enjoys studying architectural styles and history. History buffs would be delighted to know that there is a short article here on the history of the television in Tabasco--- this alongside the role this state played during the revolution.





No comments:

Post a Comment