Sunday, August 16, 2015

Shopping in the Federal District of Mexico: Ciudadela and Sonora

In the afternoon while still in an interesting session, C messaged me and told me he and R are going shopping. They asked if I would like to go with them. I'm not a big fan of shopping but knowing these two are culture buffs, I know I am in for a good shopping experience.

Before meeting them, I went to the washroom and found two friendly Mexican women who are friendly and lovable. When they asked me what session I would be attending next, I replied that I would be going out shopping with the two boys. They asked where and when I said "Sonora" they were shocked and told me not to go because it's a dangerous place. As an alternative, they recommended Ciudadela to me. They were even shocked to know that R was looking for a certain image of Santa Muerte for his friend. They cautioned me against this.

on the way to Ciudadela by foot, we saw this library

So anyway, we did as they said, visiting Ciudadela instead. The market does not disappoint. It was very near a subway station so getting there was no trouble at all. I love the place ENTIRELY! It reeks of CULTURE: crafts and art abound and what really excited me was that not a few stalls are selling MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS!!! (If only I had the moolah but then I was thinking about my budget for the remainder of my stay...)

a colorful resto in Ciudadela
 Except I wasn't able to take lots of photos inside because my eyes got busy feasting on all the wonderful crafts and my mind was thinking of ways to earn more money and when I would be able to come back to Mexico, and which musical instruments to buy, if I would have enough time to learn another instrument (they have a wide range of instruments under the guitar family and I would also love to get my hands on Mexican violins... SIGH!), and countless other things. Oh the things you think for LOVE and PASSION...

my favorite tacos, couldn't get enough of this!
 Not finding the specific image of Santa Muerte, we decided to brave the Sonora Market. The place is pretty much Divisoria so we didn't have difficulty in adjusting. Same tips: be alert and be vigilant. C and R even reprimanded me when I took out my cam to take a photo of the market. The only single photo I have of the place... #jujubels. But anyway, better safe than sorry!

Sonora market
When we got back to the conference, I met up with the Mexican women again and told them our adventures. The look on their faces when we told them we went to Sonora despite their warnings! But I deeply am thankful for their concern and for the relief I saw upon learning that nothing bad happened to us. They are so motherly!!! (I miss them already and we only get to communicate these via Facebook only...)

What we did early in the morning:

No comments:

Post a Comment