Thursday, March 28, 2013

Choujin Sentai Jetman

Late last year, I was able to procure a copy of the series Choujin Sentai Jetman and I was more than delighted because ever since I got out of graduate school, I suddenly have this 90's nostalgia. I was craving for the movies and series I watched as a child and one of these is Jetman, which was my top favorite among other sentai series (Bioman, Fiveman, Ultraman, Kamen Rider, etc. Power Rangers was my second favorite). I remember hurrying home after school just to watch this in the afternoon, and throwing tantrums when people would change the channel to some stupid basketball game on TV.


Just what makes Jetman more appealing is its focus on human vices and the incorporation of problems such as pollution and consumerism. The evil side, the Vyram, looks down upon humans for being frail, foolish, and hopeless. This, in contrast with Ryuu's (Red Hawk) optimistic view that despite human's many weaknesses, they are capable of hoping and changing for the better.

Aside from that, Jetman has characters who show dynamism. The four initially reluctant rangers Kaori (White Swan), Raita (Yellow Owl), Ako (Blue Swallow), and Gai (Black Condor) changed when they accepted the responsibility of saving the world (or Japan rather) from evil forces that seek to destroy the earth. Kaori was at first a rich lady who couldn't fight, nor could she fly her own jet perfectly. Raita was a cowardly peace-loving person who developed enough courage and guts after getting inspired by his fellow rangers. Ako was in it for the money at first but realized how truly noble the cause is. Gai, the most complex of the characters, was a bad boy gone a bit good after meeting Kaori. (And being the most passionate and good-looking, he is my crush favorite.)

My favorite Jetman, Gai, who plays the sax beautifully.
And so I think I will write more about Gai here. I find him a tragic character, the only one among the rangers who will meet his death. (I'm done yet done rewatching the whole series but I remember he's the only one to die in the end.) Aside from that, he's also a victim of unrequited love, having been rejected by Kaori many times. At least he was lucky to have been given a small chance albeit too short.

Going back to the series, I must say that the first 15 episodes are not as serious as the latter episodes. As of writing, I am enjoying episode 18 (Gai Dies!), wherein Radiguet is turned into a human after he tried to kill Empress Juza, Mother of the Universe. In this particular episode, we see that even Radiguet's team would consider teaming up with the good guys just to overthrow a hindrance to power. We also see here that for a brief moment, Radiguet was moved because of a girl's pure heart, but the ruthless Vyram killed her in the end. The change from light cases to darkly dramatic started with episode 16 (Revolt of Paper) where an artist's dead daughter was brought to life when a Paper Monster wreaks havoc and makes objects from papers materialize on the physical plane.

Will write more about this series. :)

Read more about Choujin Sentai Jetman HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment