Sunday, September 1, 2013

August 2013

So last month Metro Manila experienced nature's fury once again when typhoon Maring entered, causing four consecutive days of work-from-home mode and annex that to the weekend and one gets 6 days outside the office. Those days I still thought like a student, I didn't want to wake up early because I knew there would be no classes. I often forget I'm no longer a student jejeje. ^.^'

August this year saw me trying out new restaurants and I just realized that my blog is slowly looking like a food blog. While I don't mind sharing my food adventures on the internet, I'm not really interested in creating my own food blog.

But I do consider having my own travel blog and hopefully get contacted by airlines for free tickets in exchange for writing about my travels. One book which greatly inspired me to go to where average men fear to tread is Gerard Helferich's Humboldt's Cosmos which I read a few years back. (Pardon my slight digression but I cannot help but write something about this wonderful biographical book which narates key events in Alexander Humboldt's life and I was particularly interested in his navigation of the Amazon basin for science.) At present, I am reading a wonderful book by American journalist Peter Hessler. Oracle Bones: A Journey Through Time in China is combination of travelogue, observation of present day culture, and historical connections to the present. It's quite interesting to see how Americans perceive Chinese culture while being immersed. Also, I'm curious as to how he navigates through chaotic China which is known for its anti-western stance. (I might write about this book after I finish reading it.)

The biggest moment of August 2013 was the Linkin Park concert. It was my first rock concert. I admit that I was ambivalent about it because I dislike rowdy crowds but during the concert I'm surprised to find myself going crazy together with the audience. And I was with a very dear friend and I consider it as our special date. :)

Yeah and another achievement is finally getting to finish writing about my Shanghai trip. Going through my travel journal while selecting photos for upload had been fun. It feels like the trip was made just yesterday.

I'm taking a break from ASOIF since I have yet to watch the third season. I'm still mourning for the death of Red Viper. I think he could have been one great character. I was already speculating on what would happen if Red Viper joins with Dany... It's such a pity he died shortly after being introduced in the series. (DAMN YOU, GRRM for creating such wonderful characters and killing them too soon! HMPH!) Though truth be told I can't wait to see what happens to Tyrion in book 4. (Come to think of it, I have yet to write about A Storm of Swords!)

Ang lately I've been watching as many movies as I can just so I can free up some space in my external hard disk. But I only delete those which I find crappy (rom-coms, lewd comedy, etc.). And I'm still watching Elfen Lied and B't X. I can't wait to write reviews of those two, but many other things are vying for my attention at the moment.

For instance, I started to review my math lessons. And in between I wonder whatever possessed me to take up European Languages in the first place but then I realize that with my knowledge of many languages I can open up new worlds and expand the scope of my research and the like only I am a bit lazy or maybe I'm just lost as to where to start but I know I'll get there somehow since I believe enlightenment will come soon but it will be perfectly fine also if that never comes coz I'm so used to being such a wandering wonderer or maybe it is wondering wanderer? (I guess I owe it to my Spanish to be able to write a sentence which looks like a paragraph...)

Hoping to get busier in September. One of my trips got cancelled but it's okay. I can always travel some other time.

No comments:

Post a Comment