Sunday, June 23, 2013

Shanghai 0404072013

A few days before our flight to Shanghai, news of a new bird flu outbreak caused a stir even here in the Philippines. My parents told me to postpone my trip with my highschool friends, but I told them we'd be just fine. For their peace of mind, I swore not to eat fowl meat (though it doesn't really contribute to contracting the flu). I also told them I'd be putting on face mask at all times (though when we got to Shanghai it felt weird so I didn't use it much). The stubborn me insisted that we have already paid for our plane fares and it would hurt if we didn't get to consume our flights. I also added that this would be risk I would be willing to take for the sake of travel. (Honestly though, the thought of my almost P4000 going down the drain scared me more.)

Not expecting cold weather, I packed mostly t-shirts and jeans, with only a coat to keep me warm. Bad decision indeed since our bodies were too accustomed then to Manila's summer heat to withstand the sudden cold of China. When we got out of the plane and stepped int the airport, I could immediately feel the chill. Later on, I was already shivering, and thoughts of spending my vacation in the hospital scared the wits out of me. Oh no, I just couldn't afford to be sick at that time when I was supposed to be seeing new places and eating Shanghai cuisine. Fortune smiled on me and I survived the night. We had a few hours' sleep on the benches in the airport.

Come morning of the 5th of April, we had quick breakfast at KFC in the airport. I had chicken congee (8.50 CNY) forgetting my promise to my parents. I just couldn't resist. Chicken soup is just the thing when cold. We bought our three-day unlimited subway pass for 45 CNY and boarded the first-hour train.

On our first day (April 5) we went to Century Park, Shanghai Museum, and The Bund. I had a heavy lunch of porkchop plus 3 veggie dishes and rice for only 11CNY. And boy was I happy with what I was served! The eatery is located near Jinjiang Pudong Inn where we stayed for two nights for this trip. For dinner, I had hot and sour beef noodles (still couldn't get over Vietnam's pho) for 15 CNY which lives up to its name making me a happy diner. It's a good thing, too, that I bought green tea yoghurt drink (8 CNY) when we got out of Shanghai Museum. I used the sweet and sour and cold of the drink to temper the hot and spicy noodles.The noodles were a little pricey because the shop is in a tourist spot. It's located near the People's Plaza.

On April 6, we had breakfast at a small dumplings shop on the way to the Subway. We walked far from the hotel, refusing to take a taxi or the bus to save on fares. Besides, we had to take advantage of our unlimited pass. We had hot 千里香 (Qianlixiang) wanton (6 CNY/ 20pcs) and seaweeds wanton (10 CNY/ 10 pcs). Both were served in soup, which was good seeing the rain wouldn't let up any minute. I also bought rice hash brown (1.50 CNY) sold in the streets. The day before, when we were checking in at the hotel, I saw a man eating that and I almost interviewed him had my friends not interfered. (I just wanted to ask where he bought the hash brown). Anyway, that fried thing was a nice treat. Crispy outside and a bit soft inside. Yum! It's best eaten hot. Otherwise, you'll see much of the oil.

Yuyuan
Our second day was spent walking and viewing the posh buildings of 新天地 (Xintiandi). Later on I thought we should have skipped this since the area is known to be a shopping district and expensive items are sold there and we were just a bunch of poor kids. After that, we went to 豫園 (Yuyuan) where we went shopping for food items for our loved ones back home. A visit to the famed Kobayashi which produces wonderfully fried cookies, is a must. We shopped at Cheap Road, so called for the cheap items being sold there. After a quick lunch of 金包銀 (some sort of dumplings which can get addicting) and小籠包 (xiaolongbao), we headed to Shanghai Railway Station. This time, to meet V's goal of buying her wig, which according to her is near the railway station. Unfortunately, the place was too big and we have circled the area but found no wig store. Utterly defeated, we proceed to Jade Temple for a bit of spiritual guidance.
Shanghai Railway Station
After Jade Temple, we went to  陸家嘴 (Lujiazui) to see the Oriental Pearl TV Tower. We didn't get inside though because of the expensive entrance fee. Still we appreciated very much the wonderful dragons in the middle of the road and the distinct tower towering above others.

Oriental Pearl TV Tower at dusk
Our last day in Shanghai was spent touring three more places: 七寶 (Qibao town), 龍華寺 (Longhua Temple), and the Jewish Refugees Museum. I had the most fun in the ancient town of Qibao, I felt like a wandering samurai walking on the streets and savoring the festive atmosphere there. There just were too many people, perhaps because it was s Sunday.

Qibao on a Sunday
When it was time to say goodbye, I felt sad. Not only will I miss the dimsums and the architectural beauties, I will also miss the jokes told to me by the Chinese people, the stories, everything. I just love how I made them laugh and how they made me laugh in return. It's different from the Shanghai experience I was expecting.

Exchange rate: 1 CNY= 6.60 PHP

More blog posts about my Shanghai trip to follow and will link to this post. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment