Thursday, July 6, 2017

Eating Alone is Never Lonely

Lately I have gone back to my old ways of spending time napping in the sleeping room in the workplace and then using the remaining 15 minutes for a quick lunch. I sleep early these days, 2 hours earlier than before when I used to go home from work. My rented place is just ten minutes from the office and so I am happily now able to eat dinner at an earlier time and to read my books.

And because people at the office prefer to eat first than nap, I usually have lunch alone. Yesterday was no different. A colleague saw me as I was in the middle of lunch and said, “It’s not fun to eat alone.” And inside my mind, I was like, huh??? In what way is eating alone not fun? I thought to myself, poor girl probably hasn’t traveled alone yet.

In many societies, eating is a communal activity. To some people including me, eating is a form of meditation, my me-time. This is not to say that I do not enjoy some company when eating, but what I am saying is that having company or not, I eat well and I take advantage of the situation regardless of what it is. Meaning, if I eat with people, I take the opportunity to get to know them better (and sometimes to try out their food. LOL) If I eat alone, I take the opportunity to know myself better, because it provides me with time for myself. Normally my work hours are consumed by meeting different kinds of people which makes me prone to energy depletion (although people find it incredible when I say I am an introvert because I get along well with anyone)

So anyway, back to eating alone. I remember an ex-officemate who is vocal about not wanting to eat alone. For her it just is plain lonely and uncomfortable and she doesn’t get to enjoy her food. I find it curious, then as now, because maybe I do not have any issue on eating either with company or not. For me, eating is eating. It’s your interaction with food that should weigh more because you only get to eat, what, three to four times a day. (Although I am also guilty of small snacks thanks to chocolates and chips office people give to me especially when they know I am meeting deadlines. And I am not ashamed to say that I feel loved when people give me food. What more, when people cook for me.)


Perhaps it has something to do with me doing solo travels. One of the things I always look forward to when traveling is having full liberty to stop somewhere when I find interesting eats. Another is dining at recommended restaurants (mostly seafood restaurants) where I get to observe how people eat what. That, eating and savoring the food without thinking of the time, is I think, a form of meditation that everyone should experience once in a while. It makes you think how food is produced, prepared, and served to you. It makes you feel more grateful for the abundance of the earth. At the same time, it makes you think about mans greed and lack of concern for the environment, how we foolishly opt to have cemented jungles instead of thriving, cultivable land that can address food shortage. Eating alone seems like a lonely activity, but you don’t really feel that lonely when you think about how everything is interconnected and interdependent.

No comments:

Post a Comment