Sunday, July 9, 2017

Tarak Ridge 01222017

My first hike this year happened in January, just when classes were starting. So before I get busy, I joined a group to hike in Tarak Ridge, the famed place where many get lost and where some ha to rescued because their supplies ran out while they tried to find their way back to the jump off point.


Never would I imagine that I would suffer almost the same fate were it not for my "detective" skills and rational thinking. At the onset, I was left behind by the group that I joined. So I hitched a ride with another group who were also headed to Tarak Ridge. I could have ditched the first group but then I worry about the organizer worrying about me although I was a fool to think that because he didn't even bother to count his members when they left the barangay hall. Stupid me is now left wondering what if I joined the group that took me to the jump-off point. They were a group of friends who like the outdoors... that means a solid group with common interests compared to a bunch of strangers clumped together by an organizer who couldn't even take care of his members.


But anyway, even without a friend, I was able to survive. I was with a group of newbies. I could tell by the things that they have, the "in" things of a "true mountaineer" except they are years away from becoming real mountaineers because 1. they are noisy in the mountains, 2. they do not care about the LNT principles, 3. they have no care about their fellow hikers, 4. they only hike for the selfies. Nothing wrong with number 4, but I observe that those I look up to do not take selfies. Instead, they take photos of the view. I, on the other hand, take photos of plants and whatever insects I encounter.


On the way to the top, I was first among the group, probably because the rest were already tired. On the way down, I took a wrong turn so I ended up in the middle. But then those in front of me were already far away. Those behind me were still not yet finished with selfies. So I found myself alone most of the time. And I almost got lost. Four freaking times. But good thing I was able to meet some hikers (not from our group) along the way so I at least wasn't so scared. But then nearing the river, a couple of times I almost took the wrong way. But good thinking saved me. Indicators of unused trails were clues. For instance, I noticed thick spider webs. Another is the sudden loss of footprints (thank God it rained a bit). Another is forced clearing of a path although the path is still not that obvious unless you look hard. When I finally was able to rejoin the group, one commented that "wow, you're really used to hiking alone, don't you feel scared?", he sounded like he couldn't believe that a nerd-looking gal like me could survive on my own. I told him with a smile, "of course I am afraid, this is Tarak Ridge after all. But then, you have here a strong, brave, independent, and smart woman."

And we got home very late, way behind the schedule because they all had to take a bath. I just wiped off dirt on my faces and arms with baby wipes since I prefer to take a long hot bath at home. So while they were bathing, I slept in the van.

*************************************************************************
But then people will not like you when you're too smart and too courageous for a typical woman. Well, if they think I was already too masculine, wait until they get to meet the women I look up to! Anyway, what that boy told me made me reflect on how people are swallowed by the dictates of society when it comes to masculinity and femininity, as if certain traits should only be for males! Why can't boys love a woman who is brave and smart? One theory says that the male ego is insecure when faced with a strong woman. (And it doesn't help that I have become rather wary of boys.) I want to see the day I meet a real man.

No comments:

Post a Comment