Friday, January 20, 2012

2012 ACLE: Livebox's Screening of "Ang Umaatikabong Buhay ni badong Aguirre"

This afternoon, I rushed to UP thinking that we had class even though I knew it was ACLE day. I shouldn't have come. Before I got to my building, I received a text message from a classmate who told me that there was no class. I proceeded anyway, and borrowed lots of books for a minor paper I will be writing this weekend.

After that, I visited the GT Toyota Auditorium and a man asked me if I were to attend Livebox. Oblivious to ACLE activities for the day, I said no but asked what their ACLE is anyway. He told me there would be a movie screening. After I checked out the library, I entered the venue and was met by a noisy bunch of people. Then it struck me that Livebox is actually a youth-oriented religious organization.

I was able to see a live performance by From the Author. The lead singer was a cute girl. Though she has a very small voice (I couldn't hear the lyrics well from the back), I am impressed at the musical composition.

After that was a movie screening. The title was "Ang Umaatikabong Buhay ni Badong Aguirre". From the title, I thought that maybe this is one of those boring indie films. But I was wrong. Every scene was humorous. The movie, about a man who looks like a bad person but is actually kind-hearted, is a brilliant opus. I can't help thinking about Shrek the whole time. This movie also incorporated many tropes like the police who always come late. The movie also explores the background of hired goons, something unheard of in Pinoy movies. As Josephine Carreon, the lovely director of the film, puts it, goons are only there for the hero of the movie to punch and kick or kill. We don't even know how these goons came to be.




As it turns out, the goons in this movie are gruff-looking guys who are actually kind-hearted. All of them, including Badong, were tricked into the kidnap trade to serve as goons. These goons earned the trust of Princess, the kidnap victim whom they sought to help later on. Towards the end, Badong was shot. He told his newfound friends to escape quickly and just leave him there for the police to arrest. While in prison, he remembered his father telling him about not killing cockroaches. His father's secret was unfortunately lost because he suddenly died of heart attack. But upon seeing a roach in prison, he reflected on this and realized that like a cockroach who is always despised, he must be strong and stay happy.

So I guess my going to UP today is not wasted since I was able to see this wonderful film for free.

No comments:

Post a Comment