Saturday, August 11, 2012

日本語の勉強: Japanese Verbs

While I find studying Japanese fun, I do admit that I'm somewhat stressed when it comes to conjugating Japanese verbs. The book I use as main textbook, Japanese for Today, may offer sufficient reading material of various topics, but it sadly lacks explanations on verb conjugations, leaving me a bit frustrated because sometimes I have to do research on the internet before I can proceed to my lessons.

I currently am on lesson 17 and I must say that I am already having a hard time with all the verb endings one has to know by heart. It is still a good thing that I am already familiar with most verb endings, having encountered them in songs. I have just survived lesson 16 which is all about the passive and causative verbs. Really I suck at verb conjugations. Now, I am absorbing the six verbs associated with giving and receiving.

I have yet to review my kanji but hopefully by the end of this month, I will have reviewed at least half of the list I made. My strategy is noting down in index cards all kanji that I encounter and write the pronunciation in hiragana to also increase my reading speed. I rarely put in the English equivalent since most Kanji have the same meaning as the Chinese words they originate from. Then on my spare time, I review my index cards to refresh my memory.

I have also resumed watching J-Drama. At present,  うぬぼれ刑事  and 未来講師めぐる make me laugh out loud. うぬぼれ刑事 tells the story of a detective who falls for a woman criminal. 未来講師めぐる on the other haand, is about a female English teacher who can see the future of other people when she is full. Watching J-Drama not only is a stress-reliever, but also allows my ears to get accustomed to others speak in Japanese since I really do not have anyone to converse with in the language.

Target for this month includes studying up to at least lesson 24. Also, I have begun to study the lyrics of some Japanese songs to increase my vocabulary. X-Japan was initially part of this project since I love their X Ballad Collection but then again I will have to change to other bands/ singers because the lyrics of most X-Japan songs contain stanzas in English. For the time being, B'z, Chage and Aska, Kamiki Aya, Shibasaki Koh, HITOMI, Kalafina, Do As Infinity, and Onitsuka Chihiro shall accomapny me in my study. Or better yet, now is probably the best time to get to know other singers. For instance I have discovered Tanimura Shinji who sang Fuushi Hanaden, the ending theme for the anime version of Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

All this to prepare for the JLPT this December!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment