Saturday, August 25, 2012

Metropolis

Last night, I rushed to Shangrila Plaza in Mandaluyong alone to watch Fritz Lang's "Metropolis", touted as one of the best films ever produced in history. I have never watched any silent film and I am more than curious why it is still in vogue. And yes I do admit that I am ignorant when it comes to silent films, having had no experience with it whatsoever.

I guess I have the movie Hugo to thank for, which I saw early this year. With 5 Oscars awards this 2012, this widely acclaimed movie indeed is a must-see. What I appreciated from the movie, apart from the touching story, is the inclusion of a partial history of film, with special focus on Georges Méliès and his ground-breaking work Journey to the Moon. After watching Hugo, I gained an interest in early films, curious as to see how films were made during the early years of film when technology was not as developed as today.

Last night was the first for me, and hopefully not the last. Metropolis is a sci-fi movie about the gap between wealthy intellectuals who live above the masses who labor for maintenance of the city. The movie tagline summarizes the essence of Lang's opus: "The mediator between head and hands must be the heart.

As the music of Rubber Inc plays, I now understand why silent films are special. The music must go well with the prevailing atmosphere in the film and it certainly is hard work for musicians to adapt their music to every scene. 

Being introduced to silent films through Metropolis has been a wonderful experience and now my interest in films has grown a thousandfold.

Watch Metropolis here:


No comments:

Post a Comment