Thursday, September 27, 2012

The Phantom of the Opera

Catchy songs, beautiful lyrics, fabulous costume, detailed props, wonderful actors and musicians... all these make up one grand performance. And one grand performance The Phantom of the Opera was.

Last Thursday was the first time in many years that I went to CCP with my dad. I was also accompanied by a friend and her friends. Despite being a bit unwell following my very slow recuperation from fever last week, I was still adamant and told myself that I WILL CERTAINLY NOT MISS The Phantom of the Opera for anything.

Such was my decision, especially after watching the 25th anniversary of the musical as performed in the Royal Albert Hall. After that I understood completely why the name of Andrew Lloyd Webber is famed. He is a musical genius!!!

Watching the musical live at CCP was surreal. I never was bored, not a minute of boredom. For some reason, watching it live was more engaging. For instance, I still can't get over the slight change in the script when the previous manager of Opera Populaire says he will be off to Boracay for his vacation. that surely elicited laughter from an appreciating audience.

Jonathan Roxmouth, who played the role of the Phantom, was brilliant. Without doubt he gave justice to the character he is portraying as one can very easily feel the Phantom's frustrations and anger. Also well-loved is Andrea Creighton who played the role of Carlotta. It's just so hard to hate this character who is both funny and a really really good singer. Also a fave is Cat Lane who played a minor role, that of Meg Giry. For some reason, I find this girl charming and lovable.

I have had the wonderful opportunity to ask questions to an usher during the intermission since we sat two rows from the stage. According to him, all the props, including the "statues" framing the stage and the beautiful curtains, are all owned by the production. Wow! All that effort! At that time, I understood what I really paid for and at the end of the performance, thought to myself that everything is so worth it. In fact, I was thinking of watching it all over again. Now if only I have the money, I'd certainly go back and relieve the experience. It was just so fantastic.

Also, because I was so impressed by the orchestra who beautifully played the music, I asked a bit about the group. The usher told me that included in the orchestra are some members of the Philippine Philharmonic Orchestra (PPO). Wow! Right then and there, I vowed to myself to really really support our local musicians and also to get exposed to local plays. (I frequent Dulaang UP's plays since UP is accessible.)

No comments:

Post a Comment