Saturday, June 15, 2013

Ille Adventure 04252013

For six days, I was with archaeo peeps in Palawan, more specifically in El Nido. It was my first ever time to experience camping while undergoing archaeological excavations. (Unfortunately, I came too late and excavations had just finished so all I did was just accession and clean artifacts.)


Away from the usual comforts, camping proved to be a challenge. We would sleep in tents. I shared one with a friend. It was hard not to have water form faucets. Brushing the teeth equally requires extra bit of effort. We were drinking water which tasted funny (tasted like metal but since we were informed it was spring water, we drank anyway). One can not be too self-centered and be choosy because everyone is living in the same way so it helps to keep complaints all to one's self. Compared to previous seasons, nowadays at least people do not have to dig dirt to hide their poop nor do they have to find their own private sanctuary for peeing. At least now they have toilets and bathrooms--- comfort rooms indeed!

On the plus side, I got to take baths with other girls again. Also, it was nice being friends with foreigners. Their adventurous and carefree spirit is such an inspiration. During my stay, I also got to talk to other archaeo peeps whom I never got to talk to before.

My favorite day was April 25 when my friends had their day off and we had a bit of Ille adventure with a local guide so this will be the focus of this blog post. We got up early and got to the top of Ille Rockshelter to witness the majestic sunrise. Mind you, it wasn't an easy climb.

Ille sunrise
We had our quick breakfast and were then on our way to other parts of Ille, with lots of walking and bonding with nature. It was a bit tiring but we shrugged it off, knowing that rewards are great for those in pursuit of adventures. And rewarded we were with a nice cool dip in a small pool beneath the 13th of 14 Waterfalls.

After that, we were toured to other limestone rockshelters. And before we headed back to camp, our dearest guide gave us buko treats! The perfect thirst quencher after a day of much activity.


And that's the reason why April 25 is such a memorable day for me. I got to experience a difficult climb after many years of no mountain climbing activity, leaving me with such sense of accomplishment at the end of a tiring day.

See what else I did in Ille HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment