Saturday, October 18, 2014

Hong Kong Musuem of Medicinal Sciences

My third day in my 2014 HK trip was spent roaming the streets of Central and Sheung Wan. When I got tired at looking at all those very tall buildings in those areas, I decided to finally look for the Museum of Medicinal Sciences which was included in my draft itinerary.


Walking in the streets located behind the skyscrapers had been a fruitful adventure because I got to see a lot of street art. Some would call them vandalism but I guess it is tolerated in HK as a form of expression. Also, it was a pleasant surprise to find a row of restaurants serving different cuisines ranging from French to Japanese. In fact, I passed by a Japanese restaurant claiming to serve the number one ramen but I didn't get to try the place because I got there too early and it would be a hassle to go back there from HKU which I visited right after the HK Museum of Medicinal Sciences. 

I almost gave up trying to find the museum because even after consulting my maps countless times I couldn't seem to get to the place. Relying on instinct I carried on until I came to an elevated playground where I saw an important-looking building made of red bricks. I practically ran to it happily thinking it could be a heritage building hidden in that not so busy part of HK. Turned out to be the museum built in the Edwardian style.


What greeted me when I passed through the gates was a mini garden where they planted different medicinal plants. It seems that part of the objective is also to educate the visiting public so there are labels indicating the name of the plant and its uses. 


I paid the HKD 10 entrance fee and went on a tour all by myself inside. I was lucky because I was the only one inside at that time. 

The museum puts on exhibit a comprehensive medical history of Hong Kong and this includes the use of Chinese medicine alongside Western tools and equipment. A section is devoted to SARS, one of the deadly diseases in human history for which HK suffered a dip in tourism following numerous cases of SARS. It preserves the memory of an international collaboration to combat this respiratory disease.

What I liked about the museum is the basement where they simulated a Chinese medicine shop. Part of the exhibit inside the Herbalist Room is the portrait of Shen Nong, the god of herbs. This portrait, which originated from a stone carving in Wu Liang Temple dating back to the Eastern Han Dynasty, is a reproduction from the Shanghai Medical School Museum. 


After touring around, I bought a book on Chinese herbs, determined to study about medicinal plants and their uses. It makes me remember the late botanist Leonard Co whose untimely demise in the hands of the military is such a big loss to the Philippines. He published a book on medicinal plants though I have yet to see a copy. I'd definitely like to have one, as part of my 2014 Christmas wishlist.

No comments:

Post a Comment