Saturday, October 18, 2014

2014 Hong Kong Trip

Warning: This is a very lengthy post … Links to important places will be up soon.

Last year was the first time I was lucky to get a piso fare promo from Cebu Pacific. A highschool friend and I planned to go to Hong Kong and shop during the summer season since discounts are big in summer, she says. She has been to HK countless times, having relatives living there. I, too, have relatives who are HK residents but I’m not close to my relatives in general and besides, I’m quite afraid that visits to relatives will eat up my time which is intended for exploring HK really well this time. The last time I was in HK was just a year ago and the four day trip was just enough for me to learn about the subway system but sadly I grew restless from that trip because I discovered that HK has a lot to offer in terms of nature trips!

This year, my 7D7N trip has been a mix of ups and downs. I don’t think I got the most of this trip because of my relatives who kept on insisting in tagging along with me. Not that I’m complaining, I find it rather sweet of them to want to spend time with me but a solitary wanderer like me needs ample “me- time” most especially when exploring a new place. However theirs is a culture of late risers so my trips with them start at around 11 am onwards. Being an early riser when travelling, that was something that really tried my patience.

As before, the first thing I did upon arrival at the Hong Kong International Airport was to buy an Octopus card. I took few brochures since I brought with me the old maps I got last year which I have studied well prior to my visit this time. Then I waited for Third Aunt who was to pick me up from the airport. It was drizzling on the way to her flat and it was already late at night. So basically my first night is just to ensure I get enough sleep for a week’s activities.

The second day was spent at another aunt’s house. I was instructed on what bus to take and alight at which stop. Problem was, Fourth Aunt left the Philippines when I think I was yet to be born so I really did not know her until that day. It didn’t help that my other aunt told me she looks like a famous Filipino singer and actress so I guess I was expecting that. Who would have thought that the semblance was years ago! Fail!

So I stayed at her house for hours listening to her stories and getting to know her children--- my cousins. In the afternoon, after some three hours of napping, my aunt and one of my cousins (the youngest and is very pretty) took me to Kowloon Walled CityPark. It’s a very big park with the fragrant smell of juniper trees which reminds me of Baguio. I wish we had very big parks in Metro Manila, too. (But the government officials are corrupted to the core and they seem to want to sell the whole PH to private entities. I so hate them but that’s another story.)

I helped Fourth Aunt prepare dinner since I saw that her children cannot be relied upon to do house chores, being too busy with computers and smartphones. She was a terrific cook! She cooked 6 different dishes in just a little over an hour! Simply amazing! And as I blog tonight I cannot help but remember her grilled chicken. It was just the best chicken I have ever tasted! The tender meat, the marinade… it rivals that of RoyalBellagio Hotel's The Filling Station!

The third day was my only me time. I accompanied Third Aunt to her office in Central and then took off from there to walk. There never was a happy walker that time as I. I marvelled at the tall buildings bearing names of famous brands. I took lots of photos of the beautiful modern architecture alongside colonial-styled ones. The streets are clean, unlike in Metro Manila where people throw their garbage just about anywhere and get away with it when supposedly they should be fined.

I was able to visit the HongKong Museum of Medical Sciences, HongKong University Museum and Art Gallery, and the Hong Kong Maritime Museum. One whole day of walking that much was tiring but I got a treat from Third Aunt when we ate at a vegetarian restaurant at North Point. But because I had late lunch I wasn't able to eat a lot that time. We then visited an uncle and his wife who live in separate houses.

Back in my younger years, I remember my uncle who was a big man who often smelled of cigarettes, being a chain smoker. I didn't like him then because I hate cigarettes and he was always smoking the whole time he was at our house talking with my dad for hours on end. That time, he visited PH to attend my godfather’s wedding.

This year I was glad to learn he no longer smokes and suddenly he didn't seem so big to me anymore. He asked me to write down my name and I did, using the traditional writing system since I never liked the simplified version. (Sorry for being elitist, I guess when you’re serious about languages you tend to have a high disregard and intolerance for distortions and vulgar evolutions.) Anyway, he was surprised to find that my handwriting was quite good and told me that I am a courageous and daring individual for still preferring to write the old fashioned way. While his perception of me is quite the same as that of my close circle of friends who see me as a warrior, I do not think that I am worthy to be called courageous. Daring yes, but courage is something far nobler and is one of the values I always pursue but I guess the times are few when I can truly say I have had courage.

At my uncle’s wife house I was served with too many cups of tea and it was already late. My aunt was very warm and welcoming and I wondered why she lived away from my uncle. Anyway, she was surprised to find that I speak Fookien. (Is Chinese education in PH that bad that the Chinese are always surprised to find huaqiao who can speak fluent Chinese???) I also met a niece, the daughter of my cousin who was then in China so I never got to meet him.

The fourth day, Third Aunt and I woke up early and fetched my niece. We went hiking in Shek O County. I had been fantasizing about hiking in Dragon’s Back and I was happy when my aunt agreed to go with me. Unfortunately it wasn't the type of hiking that she prefers, being used to “hiking” (her term) cemented grounds. So I really didn't get to enjoy much because she was complaining about how dangerous it is to hike in such a place etc. when in fact, it’s a fairly easy hike. Felt like a walk in the park. Earlier I told her I love long hikes and that I am accustomed to doing mountain treks and she said she also hikes from time to time. Who would have thought her definition of hiking is actually “walking on paved grounds”! I guess it was also my fault for not clarifying or probing on what kind of “mountains” she had hiked to in the past.

We had to stop midway and go back to the city at noon for lunch. We were to meet Second Cousin’s wife and her kids there and then go to Golden Beach in New Territories afterwards. I was of course very sad since I love the mountains more than the beach. Besides, summer at the beach doesn't appeal to me. The very hot weather makes it hard for me to enjoy. And, beaches in PH are far more beautiful than in HK!!!

We had a wonderful dinner at my uncle’s house. It was a feast and I greatly enjoyed the yellow chicken (ginger chicken) and the fish (fried fish fillet and fish in low sodium say sauce--- simple but I love fish of any kind so just imagine how happy this kid was), the vegetables (squash and leafy veggies which I LOVE)… Oh what a spread they prepared! I was relieved to find that the only pork dish is Chinese style pork chop which is somewhat like asado.

The fifth day was spent with Fourth Aunt again. It was Kowloon walled city park part 2. Fourth Aunt prepared ramen noodles with dumplings for lunch. Awesome! I just love noodles! Then we went to Wong Tai Sin Temple. I wanted to weep with joy. The temple is just so grand and I wanted to explore its every corner but unfortunately there were too many people and I’m afraid my aunt and cousin might be bored with it already. Mental note to go back there on my next HK trip.

At night I was taken to my cousin’s house. This cousin of mine was my playmate when we were small. She was very naughty back then and she would always throw tantrums. My nanny recounts that my brothers would always bully her for being such and I was always the one to defend her from them. I also remember being put in charge of bathing her whenever she comes to visit our house without her nanny. Then one day she went to HK to join her family and it was only last year I think when we got in touch again through Facebook. It was she whom I informed of my intent to visit HK.

Third Aunt also took me to Big Aunt’s place. It was only when we were grown ups when we knew we had another aunt and that she was the eldest so Third Aunt is supposed to be Fourth Aunt and Fourth Aunt Fifth Aunt. But because we have grown accustomed, we never really practice the new calling system. Anyway, Big Aunt is a fragile woman and I like the feel of her very homey home where she lives with her son and grandchildren. I would have loved to spend more time with them but I guess there really isn’t much to talk about. I also found my nieces (her grandkids) lively and cute. I wish they could come over to PH when they’re a bit older and  I’ll show them around, probably to the beaches.

The sixth day was spent in Tsim Sha Tsui. Oh the memories of last year’s visit! TST will always be memorable because there are just so many beautiful attractions there especially near the pier. I was to meet up with my other uncle and his wife so I left Third Aunt’s house early and went to Hong Kong Science Museum. Then I joined my uncle and aunt for lunch where they treated me to a Japanese restaurant in Silvercourt. I AM JUST SOOOOO HAPPY!!!

A bit of shopping and it’s a good thing they brought me there since left alone, I wouldn't have bought anything during this trip. Shopping is not my forte, unless it’s shopping for food hehe. And because of them I knew that I got good value for my money having bought branded clothes at huge discounts. Awesome!

We parted ways shortly after and I was instructed how to go to their house for dinner and where I would stay for the night. They left me to wander in TST alone much to my brimming happiness!!! And so off to the Hong Kong Cultural Center I went with a plan to watch a concert but I promised to be at my uncle’s place before 7pm for dinner and it would be rude to be late and to make them worry. So instead I went to Hong Kong Art Museum which I never got to explore last year because it was closed during the Chinese New Year.

I did find my way to their house and spent the night there. My cousin to whom I was close to in my childhood days was already working and she came in when I was already asleep so we didn't get to talk.
The seventh day, my two cousins who are both girls, went out with me. We went to Lai Chi Kok Park first, also a very beautiful park. HK people are really lucky to have such well maintained parks within the neighborhood, unlike here in PH where you will have to travel far to have a breath of fresh air. Then off to the Hong Kong Space Museum where we watched a short movie about astronomy and space scientists. Next time I’ll be watching other films.

Next we went around Mongkok and Temple Street to shop. I bought only a few things being an inexperienced shopper and a miserly one at that. My cousins took me to a Chinese restaurant where we had yamcha (literally means “to drink tea” but it has come to mean having dimsum and tea). Fourth Aunt’s daughters also joined us. Because there is a Chinese resto of the same name in Manila, I thought at first that I am finally gonna experience the main branch LOL!

That night, I slept with Fourth Aunt’s eldest daughter and we chatted a bit before drifting off to sleep. She says she wants to visit the beaches in PH someday. I told her if ever she comes to visit, she should let me know so I can accompany her and show her around. Of course that means more reasons to travel! And I’m more than eager to spend time with my cousins who showed me what hospitality is and taught me what family and kinship mean.

The following day, Fourth Aunt woke me up very early in the morning. We went to meet with her friend and together we headed to Paktamchung where I got to see the reservoir. Also, it was my second hike and I was glad to take in HK’s natural beauty. It was tiring yet fun. What a day it was! Good thing the wind was refreshingly cool despite the summer heat.

In the afternoon, Fourth Aunt accompanied me to Big Uncle’s house to pick up some foodstuff I was to deliver back home. In the evening, Third Aunt and I had dinner at Fairlane Restaurant where I treated her for the first time in my life. We then went to my dear cousins’ house to deliver mooncakes I bought for them.
The next morning, I stopped by Fourth Aunt’s house for a surprise visit and to give her some mooncakes as my token of gratitude for the warm hospitality they extended to me. Boy was she surprised to see me! I already knew how to commute by bus! Yay!!!

For lunch, I went out with Big Uncle’s granddaughter (that makes her my niece) who treated me to a Japanese restaurant near Third Aunt’s place. She, together with Fourth Aunt, helped me with my bags as I boarded the bus to the airport. I got four huge bags with me and looking back I still couldn’t believe how I was able to survive with all that baggage, being used to just a backpack and a small bag when travelling.

__________________________________________________
Note: At the time of writing, internet at home was down so I composed this on Word. This line is already in the fifth page. LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment