Sunday, October 26, 2014

Hong Kong University Museum and Art Gallery

After taking a look around the Hong Kong Museum of Medicinal Sciences, I went on to HKU. Back in college, I was often persuaded by my aunts to go to HKU but my parents cannot send me there due to our financial conditions. Besides, it would mean being away from my family. My parents, being conservatively strict and overprotective, wouldn't want that.

So anyway, stepping inside the campus felt surreal. I had fun going inside the buildings. Good thing classes had not yet started at the time of my visit so I was able to sneak in a ease without worrying if I were caught.

I got in the art gallery and museum but taking pictures is not allowed. The museum has ancient furniture and ceramic wares, not unlike the other museums. And they also exhibit contemporary art.

There is however, one disturbing sight: that of golden lucky cats which mechanically raise their paws while their eyes are fixed on a screen flashing alternately "I LOVE CHINA" and "CHINA LOVES ME" on red background, reminiscent of Communist China. I was disgusted at the sight. Shortly I came home, news of HK protests for democracy were all over. It seems that the exhibit was actually satirical.



view near the library: the main building which I mistook for a church

inside the Main Building

post renaissance style facade


No comments:

Post a Comment