Sunday, December 20, 2015

Pila, Laguna 04092015

April 9 is Araw ng Kagitingan (Day of Valor; commemorates the fall of Bataan during World War 2... As we are talking about the supposedly joint forces of Filipino and American soldiers against the Japanese forces, I cannot help but be angered at how the Americans made a mess of our history to portray themselves as allies when it fact they were, and still are, colonizers and imperialists!). I chose not to work so that I can join my new friends in mapping Pila, a historic and heritage town in Laguna.

Pila Church: San Antonio de Padua Church, taken late in the afternoon after raining. Lovely effects.
It was a good decision since Pila was also where the 2014 fieldschool took place, except I wasn't part of it although I would have wanted to. We discovered an old bridge, a Gabaldon inside the school, an old church and convent currently being renovated, ruins of an old church, and of course have my picture taken finally at Pagsanjan Arch. We capped the day with a lovely dinner at Calle Arco. It's got sizzling tofu which is a great fave of mine. C ordered that and I had chicken burrito. YUM!!!

Too bad we didn't get inside the museum. It was closed on weekends. HMPH!

monument
Pila Church retablo and altar
Pila Church choir loft
Pila Church marker
Pagalangan Ruins: an church used to stand in the site but was relocated because of flooding; the site was near a lake
my two companions are lucky to have this pic taken from under the Puente Sta. Clara-Norte: I descended to further inspect what's under the bridge
marker of an old Spanish-era well

an old Spanish well inside a private property: the waters are allegedly so clean in the morning that it is fit for drinking
where I had fake bulalo without knowing it because I was so hungry: Instead of beef, they used pork. Ugh!
Formation House
antique collection of a heritage house owner: I'm always lucky to be invited inside to see antique stuff :)
Pila Municipal Hall
a heritage house in Art Deco style which appeared in one of the Nissin wafers TVC
Gabaldon building


No comments:

Post a Comment