Wednesday, December 9, 2015

The Horse and His Boy

Last November 15, I found myself eager to watch another play. Trumpets was having "The Horse and His Boy" in Meralco Theater so I asked the friendly Archaeo guy to watch with me, just because he happened to PM me on Facebook at the very moment I was looking for interesting shows to watch.

We met up at Robinsons Galleria way too early because I didn't want to risk being stuck in bad traffic. Since we have more than an hour to go, we dropped the the Japanese stores there to buy wasabi and wasabi-flavored chips. Then we walked to the theater. I'm frustrated at how the metro is being modelled to be rich men's playground, darn it, they blocked the path to the theater!!! So if you're just a normal poorita with no car of her own, you jump over that stupid blockade.

"The Horse and His Boy" is based on C.S. Lewis' book about a young boy named Shasta who fled his land with a talking horse named Bree. Along the way they met Aravis, a princess in search of freedom, and her talking horse Hwin. Both Hwin and Bree are originally from Narnia and both aim to return to their homeland.

What makes the play stand out from the other plays I've watched is effort exerted to make the horses come out alive. Most times manned by two people, each of the magical horse adopts another person when it's time for either Sasha or Aravis to mount. And the way the horses act! It's amusing to see them. Except there's a part at the beginning where I laughed out loud because Bree was hopping instead of galloping and I thought maybe the two men behind Bree were already confused. 

As for the ending, I am rather disappointed that Bree and Hwin did not end up together. But maybe their personalities do not jive much because Bree is too full of himself whereas Hwin is always cheerful and kindhearted.

Over-all it's a wonderful play. We bought the cheapest ticket, at P800. I could have sat on the most expensive rows as I am wont to do when I am alone but I had to consider my companion. Next time, I'm definitely watching alone so I can pick out the best seats.

No comments:

Post a Comment