Saturday, June 23, 2012

Coraline (2009)

The moment I laid eyes on this film, I knew I'm going to like it. Part of the reason why I chose to watch this film is because it has the same name as my baby doll who still sleeps beside me. I called her thus because that's the name I found sewed on one of her pockets. And it just so happens that there is also a doll in this movie.

Coraline though is not a doll in this 3D animated film. Instead she is a spunky, brave, resourceful, and yes, overly curious little girl whose parents were too busy to pay any real attention to her. She was given a doll who looks exactly like her by a boy who lives in the same neighborhood. This doll was used by an evil entity residing in another world to spy on Coraline as she wants the girl to be with her. When she woke up one night and saw a mouse, she followed it and discovered a passageway leading to the Other World where she met her Other Mother and Other Father who paid her attention unlike her real parents.

Coraline would go back every night until she was warned of the evil of the Other World. She then learned of other children who disappeared into the Other World and never came back. Judging the Other Mother to be evil, she decided never to go back again. But then she learned that her parents were kidnapped and only she could save them. With the aid of a seeing stone given to her by two odd female neighbors, a cat, and Other Wybie, Coraline succeeded (of course) in freeing her parents from Other Mother.

The animation in this movie is quite different from Shrek or Kung Fu Panda. I must say that this is the first time I have seen such an animation and doing a bit of research, I found out that it is Stop Motion animation.

The plot is good, as expected from a work based on Neil Gaiman's work. It somehow reminds me of Roald Dahl whose stories for children are full of moral lessons. In this case, it's that no other family can replace your real family.

No comments:

Post a Comment