Sunday, June 17, 2012

How to Do Well in School

Schools are once again brimming with students. After two months of blissful summer vacation with no homework to do, students are once again thrust into the busy world of the academe. Suddenly with lots of things to do, some find themselves lost and thrown into confusion.

While I do not really consider myself a model student because I hardly study for exams, I am proud to say that I have always done well in my studies. Here are my personal tips on how to do well in school:

1. READ. Students should read the required readings before going to class so that they will be ready for discussions and fruitful sharing of ideas inside the classroom. In college I was often guilty of not doing this. Believe me, it feels like being out of place when your classmates are talking about something you don't have the slightest idea about. Sometimes financial problems are part of the reason (i.e. my being extra stingy and reluctant to buy the required readings to save money) but instead of complaining, I look for other books of the same topic. This not only equips me with additional and/or complementary knowledge but also offers new perspectives which may not have been covered in the required readings--- which is great during class discussions.

2. EAT SNACKS. It may sound trivial but snacks are a good way to lessen the distraction while in class. Who can give his complete attention to his teacher when his stomach is grumbling? Make sure you always have biscuits or crackers with you since mental efforts cause one to go hungry quickly.

3. BEFRIEND. It is always helpful to have at least a friend in class whom you can rely on when you suddenly have to be absent due to sickness or emergency. Make sure to get his number and ask him to update you about the happenings in the class. Ask if there are homeworks, quizzes, or projects to be submitted the next meeting. Be discreet though and never ever become a friendly user. (What's a friendly user? Well, someone who acts friendly towards another person ONLY because he can get something from that "friendship".)

4. HAVE ENOUGH SLEEP. One of the many things I regretted during my college years is that I easily fall asleep in class which of course translates to being mentally absent and therefore, getting zero new knowledge as I step out of the classroom. No, class was SELDOM boring and uninteresting. It's just that I was used to staying up late at night, watching anime...

5. TAKE GOOD NOTES. Sometimes, giving your full attention to a lecture simply is not enough. You have to have good note-taking skills. One requirement is the ability to write fast. Another major thing to consider is the ability to listen, understand, AND write all at the same time. Having good notes come in handy when you forget something important in a lecture. And it sure does become helpful during exam week.

6. HAVE FUN. I guess in whatever we do, the most important thing to achieve success is to have fun. Develop a love for learning and learning will reward you handsomely. Do not just do it for the grades, learn and study to gain knowledge and wisdom. Remember that whatever you learn may be useful in the future. It always pays to be knowledgeable and skilled at many things. And looking back, the reason why I landed in the honor roll was because I enjoyed , and still enjoy, learning new things.

No comments:

Post a Comment