Monday, June 25, 2012

Untitled 002

I'm currently reading Jude Morgan's historical fiction "Passion" which tells the story of the three great romantic poets Keats, Byron, and Shelley. The book though does not focus on these three infamous men whose lives can be described as tragic. Rather, Morgan wove a story from the eyes of the women with whom they had affairs.

In one part of the novel, Mary Shelley and Lord Byron conversed on the dire circumstances P. B. Shelley was in. And then the conversation suddenly shifted to reflections on love and memory, with Byron saying,

   "To make life bearable, I'm training myself to forget each day by the time the next dawns. Every morning you wipe the memory clean like a window-pane and gaze into the clear future. I think to found this as a new school of philosophy. After all, love would never stale, because each day there would be that first rapture again." (p.350)

How I wish I have complete control over my memory! Then it wouldn't be so difficult to love again. Then it wouldn't be too hard to love a person without the fear that one day you would lose the feelings for that person.

No comments:

Post a Comment