Sunday, October 18, 2015

Biking and Bruce Lee Exhibit @ Hong Kong Heritage Museum 08292015

On the morning we planned to bike, it rained hard and I was afraid the plan will not push through. I've always wanted to bike, to feel the grounds while pedaling instead of walking and running, for a change. In my recent trip to Hong Kong I did just that but with rear bike trainers because I'm just a beginner and I'm not yet used to cycling and yet I biked some 20 km though not a traverse.

By the time we exited Sha Tin Wai Station, the rain had not yet stopped. We spent [read: wasted] time waiting for the rains to let up while engaging in conversation with the boys manning the bike rental shop across the MTR station. That plus a few arguments because they misunderstood us. I was already in a foul mood, mirroring the weather. So we all decided to visit the Hong Kong Heritage Museum first to check out the exhibits but I was sad to say that we didn't go around to see everything. There was a a temporary exhibit on Bruce Lee's life and we only came in for that. [Sad because there was also an exhibit in Chinese paintings but they were in a hurry to bike when the sun was out. #cries]


Photos were not allowed inside the gallery because it contained Bruce Lee's personal items on loan temporarily. While many of us know Bruce Lee as just one of the greatest kung fu artist in films, it should be noted that this man was also instrumental in making kung fu popular in the West. I have seen his academic records and he is pretty much an average student BUT he has an entrepreneurial mind with a clear vision. What I found interesting is that he is also a very insightful person with very little regards for anything shallow. He hates parties, the things that go with fame which separates him from his beloved wife and children many times, but his is a passion unsurpassed for his chosen field. That passion brought him to achieve the status of a legend for which he is known today.

Needless to say, his life provides much inspiration. Born in San Francisco, USA, he grew up and went to school in Hong Kong. He went back to the US to pursue his college studies and he met his wife Linda Emery there. What endears him to me and what I find common in us is that we both love reading, writing, and reflecting on things. He even wrote a poem "Walking along Lake Wash", incorporating many elements like the moon, the water, merging water and sky... common motifs I also use in my poems. Reading it, I felt like I should really read more about him as I might pick up a thing or two on how to also achieve my dreams. His is a philosophy that merges learnings from martial arts to everyday life. Also of note is his notebook, with clear legible handwriting in cursive form. Here he noted down cha-cha steps in a methodical way. 


After that quick museum visit, we proceeded with biking. Fresh air. I made sure to breathe very deeply because I seldom get a chance to have such fresh air. It also helps that we biked after the rain. And so we were treated to awesome city sights as we pedaled on the bike trail overlooking Shing Mun River.

heart-shaped rock art in Ma On Shan beach

stopover at the beach in Ma On Shan

where we had snacks of siomai and fish cakes
 Many times I would find myself almost falling over and I could feel my cousins being worried about me. I told them that I only bike around in circles in a very small area in UP. LOL. I do that without trainer wheels but well, its more manageable because I don't have to worry about cars and people. Here it was different. We crossed streets. We biked with other bikers. We had to be alert lest some overtaking jerks send us flying to the river. One thing I learned is to focus. Biking may just be the very thing  to help me work on getting a focused mind. Another thing is that a relaxed mind creates wonders. It helps that we passed by many picturesque views.

I LOVE reflection photos :)

one more reflection photo
 On the way back to my aunt's house, I could feel my butt hurting. It was my first time to bike that far. It was an awesome experience and one for the books [in my opinion LOL]. But I know that once I go back to Manila I will crave that pain, that I will certainly miss the tiredness, the sweat, the minor panic attacks, the adrenaline rush...

And my aunt, a very good cook, must knew how tired we were. We were treated to a sumptuous dinner of shrimps and  vegetables. YUM!!!

dinner after a tiring yet fun-filled day
Read: My Hong Kong 2015 in a nutshell
------------------------------------------------------
I will have to thank IB for teaching me the basics of bicycling. And I hope that my other friends who promised to teach me how to bike will keep their promise. Except maybe they lose patience because I can be a scaredy cat sometimes. M invited me once to bike along NLEX and I had to decline her invitation because 1.) I don't have a bike 2.) I don't think I can bike that easily with cars moving on my side. @.@

I am so proud of my cousins for being such courageous bikers. I wish I could be like them... except I was so sheltered when I was young. #cries [This brings a resolve to never do the same to my children... But okay, I need a lover first. #criessomemore]

No comments:

Post a Comment