Saturday, June 8, 2013

Honda Bay and Chinese Temple, Palawan 04232013

Day 2 of my Palawan 2013 trip was spent mostly in Honda Bay. Taking the multicab from Puerto Princesa proper to St. Lourdes (with a sign saying "Honda Bay"), we were dropped off near the tourism office.

Below are the costs one needs to take note of:
snorkeling gear P100
water shoes (optional) P100
boat rental (for 6 pax) P1300
Luli Island P60
Pambato Reef P50
Starfish Island P50
Pandan Island P150
Cowrie Island P75

Our first stop was Luli Island, a very small private island with houses on stilts. Its name is short for Lulubog-Lilitaw, due to its visibility depending on the tides. Lubog is to be submerged and litaw is to surface. One can spend some time snorkeling and swimming with little fishes here.


Luli Island
Next stop was Pambato Reef but I don't have pictures since my camera isn't waterproof. Our guide has a big doughnut-shaped floater which we must hang onto. (However, for those who know how to swim, they may not cling to the floater.) The guide will pull the floater and you will see the different colored corals under the sea. Very breathtaking! It's such a pity I don't have a waterproof camera (sulks again). Still the experience was very nice. I suggest that you don't skip Pambato Reef.

We skipped Starfish Island and proceeded to Pandan Island where food can be bought. It is also said to be the most complete island as it has shower areas, too. Don't be surprised if the water is a bit salty.

We had lunch in Pandan Island. The bilao we ordered consists of chicken, tilapia, grilled squid (my favorite), and pork. A filling lunch, and delicious at that! (And as I write I drool at the memory of the squid. YUM!)

At Pandan Island
The last island is Cowrie Island which we didn't bother to visit since our guide told us that it's just a place where people bathe after hopping from one island to the other.

Cowrie Island
After the Honda Bay tour, I took a quick bath at the Tourism Office. On the way to the multi-cab terminal, I took a walk and snapped photos of Saint Andrew's Church and a Buddhist Temple. I went inside the temple and burned some incense. Noting the quietness of the area, I asked the guard where the monks are and he replied that there is only one monk who resides in the temple. He must be awfully lonely, I thought, to live in such a huge place. At the back of my mind, I thought, I probably will choose to live thus, once I tire of the endless chaos in the cities.

Had dinner at Metro Silog in Puerto Princesa. I had squid sisig and it was wonderful. It was my first time to eat sisig and I have to make sure it's not pork!


No comments:

Post a Comment